Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used HAR-1019. It was setup for the T56, don't think that matters though, and the rest of the answers were no. Injectors can vary based on what engine you have. They have a little chart to figure out what injectors you have.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by K&ARover
I used HAR-1019. It was setup for the T56, don't think that matters though, and the rest of the answers were no. Injectors can vary based on what engine you have. They have a little chart to figure out what injectors you have.
Ah! Found the chart and thank you for the rest. Ordering now.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:32 PM
4wd Low

Will the LQ4 or 9 work with this kit?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

Any people in WA state doing this swap? I am in Lakewood, WA and would like to connect with anyone doing one, my engine is running good for now but I am extremely interested in doing this to my rig for new found reliability. Thank you in advance

Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Machine shop got started on the initial engine work this week so I went ahead and ordered the new cam and springs for it. After pulling the heads I wasn't too pleased with the state of the cylinders. Even with 130k miles on it I decided to go with a full engine rebuild on my 2004 5.3L LM4 which will make me feel much better about the car's reliability once everything is back together. For those thinking to go a similar route here's what I decided to go with...
  1. Upgraded oil pump - SUM-121170
  2. Upgraded LS7 lifters and LS2 trays
  3. New cam, main and rod bearings
  4. New piston rings
  5. Honing the cylinders
  6. Upgraded timing chain and gears - Cloyes Engine Timing set C-3220
  7. Chain dampener (my block has the holes drilled) - Trick Flow® Timing Chain Dampeners TFS-30675540
  8. Upgraded camshaft - Brian Tooley Racing Stage 1 truck cam V2
  9. Upgraded valve springs - come in the camshaft kit, LS6 Beehive springs
  10. Upgraded trunnion kit from Chris Straub
  11. Valve job on the existing heads and valves
  12. Prep and check the main line bore
  13. Drilling the oil dip-stick boss in the block
FYI, machine shop is charging me ~$2400 for the labor, piston rings and 3 bearings sets. That only includes assembly of the short block. That doesn't include assembly of any of the additional parts which will be done by me. End of the day this peace of mind will be worth it to me and I'll have a very unique Land Rover that should hold it's value if I decide to part ways with it in a few years.

Went with Speartech for my engine harness since i'll be tackling the emissions too. That was definitely a pretty penny but their work and customer service is exceptional.

Can't wait to get the kit ordered and finally get everything together hopefully before the end of the year!

Last edited by losinov; 09-30-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:55 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by losinov
Machine shop got started on the initial engine work this week so I went ahead and ordered the new cam and springs for it. After pulling the heads I wasn't too pleased with the state of the cylinders. Even with 130k miles on it I decided to go with a full engine rebuild on my 2004 5.3L LM4 which will make me feel much better about the car's reliability once everything is back together. For those thinking to go a similar route here's what I decided to go with...
  1. Upgraded oil pump - SUM-121170
  2. Upgraded LS7 lifters and LS2 trays
  3. New cam, main and rod bearings
  4. New piston rings
  5. Honing the cylinders
  6. Upgraded timing chain and gears - Cloyes Engine Timing set C-3220
  7. Chain dampener (my block has the holes drilled) - Trick Flow® Timing Chain Dampeners TFS-30675540
  8. Upgraded camshaft - Brian Tooley Racing Stage 1 truck cam V2
  9. Upgraded valve springs - come in the camshaft kit, LS6 Beehive springs
  10. Upgraded trunnion kit from Chris Straub
  11. Valve job on the existing heads and valves
  12. Prep and check the main line bore
  13. Drilling the oil dip-stick boss in the block
FYI, machine shop is charging me ~$2400 for the labor, piston rings and 3 bearings sets. That only includes assembly of the short block. That doesn't include assembly of any of the additional parts which will probably be another $1500. End of the day this peace of mind will be worth it to me and I'll have a very unique Land Rover that should hold it's value if I decide to part ways with it in a few years.

Went with Speartech for my engine harness since i'll be tackling the emissions too. That was definitely a pretty penny but their work and customer service is exceptional.

Can't wait to get the kit ordered and finally get everything together hopefully before the end of the year!
https://www.powertrainproducts.net/P...hoC__4QAvD_BwE

This produces 400 hp and 400 tq and you can get a 7 year warranty. Of course you would need to beef up the transmission a bit. Also, the ring and pinion are the weak links along with the the driveshafts.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Ah! Found the chart and thank you for the rest. Ordering now.
Originally Posted by wayumean
Any people in WA state doing this swap? I am in Lakewood, WA and would like to connect with anyone doing one, my engine is running good for now but I am extremely interested in doing this to my rig for new found reliability. Thank you in advance
wayumean - send 05TurboS2K a message. I believe he is currently doing the swap right now. He is in Redmond but, he needs an extra hand to get his truck on the road before Oct 5th run to Fortune Creek

Old 09-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol
https://www.powertrainproducts.net/P...hoC__4QAvD_BwE

This produces 400 hp and 400 tq and you can get a 7 year warranty. Of course you would need to beef up the transmission a bit. Also, the ring and pinion are the weak links along with the the driveshafts.
Cool but we don't want that much power, it'll put the rest of the drive train under too much stress for most folks to consider. The stock LM7/LM4 etc. is just about precisely the power that's appropriate for a moderate upgrade.

For the most part folks are agreeing:
4.0 motor =188hp & 250ft/lbs > 4.8L LS motor ~285hp & 295ft/;bs
4.6 motor =222hp & 295ft/lbs > 5.3L LS motor ~300hp & 335ft/lbs

For either engine you start with, these are pretty respectable upgrades in power.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Talking

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
wayumean - send 05TurboS2K a message. I believe he is currently doing the swap right now. He is in Redmond but, he needs an extra hand to get his truck on the road before Oct 5th run to Fortune Creek
LOL! Good call! My harness arrives just a couple days before so I'll be right on the wire if things go perfectly smooth.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:35 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Cool but we don't want that much power, it'll put the rest of the drive train under too much stress for most folks to consider. The stock LM7/LM4 etc. is just about precisely the power that's appropriate for a moderate upgrade.

For the most part folks are agreeing:
4.0 motor =188hp & 250ft/lbs > 4.8L LS motor ~285hp & 295ft/;bs
4.6 motor =222hp & 295ft/lbs > 5.3L LS motor ~300hp & 335ft/lbs

For either engine you start with, these are pretty respectable upgrades in power.

True but I am actually going to offroad and will be putting the RTE 4 inch lift and reverse rotation gears. I have been down this road. With 35 tires the extra torque will be great.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion