Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Bignacio
Hey whowa004, I am going to put Ashcroft HD axles on my D2 and run 35's. What gear ratio is best for this? Thanks!
I'm not sure yet as I wasn't sure if I was planning doing this swap down the road once I see people able to pass emissions in stricter areas if it would affect my gearing choice. Might be dumb but I just carry spare half shafts in the event one pops. I haven't had any issues on with the stock ones and I'm running 33s with a rear air locker. Until I break one or more I can't justify upgrading especially for the cost of the fronts...

Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05TurboS2K was wondering about sleeve replacement, if worth it. I got a flat top 4.8 LS I could swap in that I pulled out of a wrecked vehicle. Ive heard they won't support torque or horsepower in the trans and diffs. I was wondering if the original motor was worth keeping. I would rather go with something without so many complaints. Im hoping to hear from someone about a kit to swap LS into my vehicle. Im very familiar with these engines as I built one for my other vehicles. I don't want to fabricate so was worrying if someone has bell housing and flywheel adaptations, as well as motor mounts and anything else. I figure that I can use everything else factory for tabs and electronics. Run motor control through gm computer.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1985
05TurboS2K was wondering about sleeve replacement, if worth it. I got a flat top 4.8 LS I could swap in that I pulled out of a wrecked vehicle. Ive heard they won't support torque or horsepower in the trans and diffs. I was wondering if the original motor was worth keeping. I would rather go with something without so many complaints. Im hoping to hear from someone about a kit to swap LS into my vehicle. Im very familiar with these engines as I built one for my other vehicles. I don't want to fabricate so was worrying if someone has bell housing and flywheel adaptations, as well as motor mounts and anything else. I figure that I can use everything else factory for tabs and electronics. Run motor control through gm computer.
Read through this thread as all your questions have been answered. Cliff notes - trans and diffs can handle the power from a stock LS. Trans can be made to handle bigger power and diffs/halfshafts can be upgraded to handle more as well.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I read through most of the thread, has anyone posted pics of the kit?

Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I should have taken some but didn't...... I got right to bolting the parts up when I got home from work and saw the kit on the doorstep. Right now I have most all of the kit on the engine already as of around 5 am this morning, I sleep poorly and woke at 2am so I got to work before I went to my regular job. I was missing one bolt for the alternator kit, a tapered head allen head but I had the other one so I left the one missing that can be installed at any time since the other accessories don't block it, I had to bore out one of the holes a little to give some fudge room for some tiny correction in drilling error but no big deal, I just went up a couple sizes in the hole and it won't matter on the mating surfaces at all. The kit looks very home-made in regards to the aluminum brackets and bell-housing etc. The bell-housing adapter is very thin in width in one spot but I expect it'll be fine, there's not much area to work with so he had little choice. However, it's very clearly had some thought and attention to detail as well which is more important to me anyway and after all the price is cheap because it is home made stuff. The instructions are fairly clear, there's a few corrections and a few things I'd clarify which might fall under "common sense" but could be misinterpreted. The bolt on parts all in all took me just a matter of 6hrs start to finish, not too bad and most of that was carefully reading a few times along with grinding and making sure things are smooth and not sharp so that servicing the motor later isn't unpleasant.

I'm happy to take pics of any specifics someone would like to see.

I still don't have the power-steering pump on it because my motor didn't come with the alternator bracket which in this case holds an idler pulley and the power steering..... I'll have to find a junk yard and throw in a few more bolts then I'll be on to the transmission fun and wiring.

So far, I'd recommend this kit to a friend, for the cost and what it includes, it's hard to complain. The kit is sold as needing some reasonable mechanical skills to install.

I intended on doing a full write-up of every single step or even a video but I quickly realized that the skills needed to do the kit rules out the folks that would benefit from simple steps being demonstrated. So instead what I've done is I've taken photos of anything that wasn't blatantly obvious or needed extra attention, having to upsize holes, paying attention to bolt length not running too long and bottoming out against other things. Even a broken off manifold bolt in an aluminum head that led to a broken off EZ-out flush in said bolt in aluminum head LOL! I was pissed...... but I very carefully dremeled it out and upsized the EZ-out and then used a torch to heat the block gently and "dust off keyboard spray" held upside down and sprayed in the hollowed out bolt hole to freeze it instantly and shrink it for easier removal. Documented the process and removed it without any damage showing what tools to use to do it fool-proof. Hopefully those kinds of things are helpful to someone else.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 09-26-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Mike1985
As mentioned, read this whole thread, there's VERY key info on various pages that you'll not want to miss and it'll save on us presenting the same info over and over in this thread.

Sleeve replacement, completely depends on the details and what motor you have, 4.0 vs 4.6, year range, and the specifics of it's current state. The stock motor in the Disco is among the worst I've ever seen in a mainstream vehicle, it's downright HORRIBLE, let's be honest. It took a otherwise very nice vehicle and made it a laugh of the industry. Granted there's many good ones out there but the failure rate is absolutely outrageous compared to most other vehicles, hence why these things don't hold their value for beans. Sad, honestly. You're lucky that the only reasonably priced kit JUST came out finally after decades and now there's a viable option. The kit has everything you need for the swap, the physical bit is a challenge, the electronics is really what's some important though in this swap and it includes the ECB which is vital to run the GM ECU and properly run the Rover TCS etc. Once you learn of the MANY incompatibilities you'll see why this kit is so very thorough and a blessing to this vehicle.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
I should have taken some but didn't...... I got right to bolting the parts up when I got home from work and saw the kit on the doorstep. Right now I have most all of the kit on the engine already as of around 5 am this morning, I sleep poorly and woke at 2am so I got to work before I went to my regular job. I was missing one bolt for the alternator kit, a tapered head allen head but I had the other one so I left the one missing that can be installed at any time since the other accessories don't block it, I had to bore out one of the holes a little to give some fudge room for some tiny correction in drilling error but no big deal, I just went up a couple sizes in the hole and it won't matter on the mating surfaces at all. The kit looks very home-made in regards to the aluminum brackets and bell-housing etc. The bell-housing adapter is very thin in width in one spot but I expect it'll be fine, there's not much area to work with so he had little choice. However, it's very clearly had some thought and attention to detail as well which is more important to me anyway and after all the price is cheap because it is home made stuff. The instructions are fairly clear, there's a few corrections and a few things I'd clarify which might fall under "common sense" but could be misinterpreted. The bolt on parts all in all took me just a matter of 6hrs start to finish, not too bad and most of that was carefully reading a few times along with grinding and making sure things are smooth and not sharp so that servicing the motor later isn't unpleasant.

I'm happy to take pics of any specifics someone would like to see.

I still don't have the power-steering pump on it because my motor didn't come with the alternator bracket which in this case holds an idler pulley and the power steering..... I'll have to find a junk yard and throw in a few more bolts then I'll be on to the transmission fun and wiring.

So far, I'd recommend this kit to a friend, for the cost and what it includes, it's hard to complain. The kit is sold as needing some reasonable mechanical skills to install.

I intended on doing a full write-up of every single step or even a video but I quickly realized that the skills needed to do the kit rules out the folks that would benefit from simple steps being demonstrated. So instead what I've done is I've taken photos of anything that wasn't blatantly obvious or needed extra attention, having to upsize holes, paying attention to bolt length not running too long and bottoming out against other things. Even a broken off manifold bolt in an aluminum head that led to a broken off EZ-out flush in said bolt in aluminum head LOL! I was pissed...... but I very carefully dremeled it out and upsized the EZ-out and then used a torch to heat the block gently and "dust off keyboard spray" held upside down and sprayed in the hollowed out bolt hole to freeze it instantly and shrink it for easier removal. Documented the process and removed it without any damage showing what tools to use to do it fool-proof. Hopefully those kinds of things are helpful to someone else.
How about a picture of the transmission adapter?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Extinct
How about a picture of the transmission adapter?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Rock Crawling

It looks a little thin in one area and in that same area is a weld that looks a little strange but seems structurally sound enough to do the job. The metal that is mating to this surface his just half the thickness so, I have to think it's perfectly fine for doing the job of spacing.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Embarrassingly enough, I still don't know what I need here in regards to the drop down items shown, there's a number of choices for injectors for example..... I know the Transmission part has been answered but I need to be 100% sure before I have them make me a custom $564 dollar + shipping harness with a wait time. Anyone ordered this exact item yet? This is the screen you'll find yourself at when you punch in the part number recommended on the build spreadsheet.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion