Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 183 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC
......aaaand back with another question...this time it's more related to fittings than this engine swap...

I'm working on building my Trans cooler lines and I'm having trouble with a compression fitting on the hardlines.
I'm not very familiar with using AN compression fittings, learning as I go....I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong here or just have the wrong type of fitting...
I would just get a couple of the Russell 648080 from the parts list. They screw directly into the transmission. That's an easier route in my opinion instead of trying to adapt to the hard lines. I think you will also need an extra o-ring on each one, if I remember correctly.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting....This item was not on my parts list.
I had intended to use these compression fittings more so on the cooler side since I will have to adapt something there...figured I keep the same idea going all around..
(Somebody ran my cooler lines over with a forklift so whatever those quick connection fittings are from the hardline to the cooler...I cant use them anymore, they've been crushed)

This Russell fitting would potentially solve my transmission connection but not my cooler side...I'd also have to see if they make this as an 8AN instead of 6AN...
I'll look into this...Thanks for that tip Aaron..

Last edited by 604x4BC; 04-13-2021 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Interesting....This item was not on my parts list.
I had intended to use these compression fittings more so on the cooler side since I will have to adapt something there...figured I keep the same idea going all around..
(Somebody ran my cooler lines over with a forklift so whatever those quick connection fittings are from the hardline to the cooler...I cant use them anymore, they've been crushed)

This Russell fitting would potentially solve my transmission connection but not my cooler side...I'd also have to see if they make this as an 8AN instead of 6AN...
I'll look into this...Thanks for that tip Aaron..
This is from a newer list. I don't know if they make it in 8AN. On the cooler side, I cut the rubber hose and did a 6an to barb fitting. Then put the barb fitting in the rubber hose with some clamps. It has held so far.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably think about just getting rid of the factory cooler altogether and going to a new trans cooler with an fittings. Don't know if you feel like fabricating some cooler brackets though.

Maybe like:
Amazon Amazon
or
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-14-2021, 11:49 AM
Mudding

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
The Sleeve I've been trying to use is meant for the tubing to be flared...Not the right type for what I'm trying to do.
I will need this style with the copper sleeve;
Amazon Amazon

If I were to use the Russell 648080 It would produce a cleaner look, but because I'm working with 8AN hose I will also need to order Russel 6AN-8AN Adapter 661773 . These are both about $20 a piece up here in Canada, and so are the compression fittings I'm looking at.
At this point, it will be more cost efficient for me to just stick with compressions all around.

I would have hoped to buy the cooler lines offered by TrailHead4x4, but those would've cost me over $500 Canadian monopoly monies..

The only issue I see coming up now is on the cooler side, the outlets on the cooler are about 14.5mm and the transmission side tubing is 12.""mm... The 1/2" tube compression fittings work on the 12mm with a bit of sanding...not sure how this will play out with the 14mm side...

Will post back in a couple days when I receive those fittings, hopefully I can produce something clean looking here lol 😛

Old 05-03-2021, 08:19 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

We took the 5.3L Discovery to the Spring 2021 Florida Land Rover Club Rally and put it through some obstacles. The truck performed great during the 50-60 mile off-road trip. It was a lot of fun and we are looking forward to going back! Here is a video of some of the highlights.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:21 PM
Mudding

Franken Radiator complete.
This took a while to sort out, and what I've done I think should be temporary...I will figure out an option for a AN threaded cooler in the future.
Compression Fittings did not work, bad idea. I had to sand the tubes, which took forever...and then I guess they were too thin and the compression fitting crushed the tubing.
Ended up chopping that part off and joining a AN hose barb fitting to the cooler with a piece of hose sufficient for the fluid. Bunch o clamps to hold it together. Looks awful, but hopefully it works out for a while.

Literally have to get the wiring done, fill up fluids and start her up now.

Just wanted to double check on the wiring though....Going to put the GM computer in the engine bay, and some of the splices that need to be made I dont see how to accomplish without buying some 18gauge wire to run from under the dash into the engine bay.

Is this what you guys had to do or is there another way? ​​​​​​​

Old 05-08-2021, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Just wanted to double check on the wiring though....Going to put the GM computer in the engine bay, and some of the splices that need to be made I dont see how to accomplish without buying some 18gauge wire to run from under the dash into the engine bay.

Is this what you guys had to do or is there another way?
My PCM is in the glovebox, so I didn't have much of a problem with wire lengths. The engine bay firewall is a good spot though, and probably if I did it again I would probably put it there. I would consider buying some new TXL automotive wire or reusing some of the discarded wiring from the Rover wiring harness if its in good shape.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Mudding

Got some wire, starting to get excited!
Without posting the instructions here...Regarding VSS GM + & -...the manual specifies to "splice this wire to the ecb connector"
Would someone tell me if this is a 3-way splice, or if a certain side of those wires gets capped...and which side if so...

Thank you!!!!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Regarding VSS GM + & -...the manual specifies to "splice this wire to the ecb connector"
Would someone tell me if this is a 3-way splice, or if a certain side of those wires gets capped...and which side if so...
The GM VSS connector has nothing to connect to. The plug should be hanging loose in the engine bay. The wires should be headed back towards the transmission. I cut the two wire connector off and wired to ECB. On my harness, the green wire was VSS – and the purple wire was VSS +. Might be different on yours.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:37 AM
Mudding

Thank you, I see it now..
Instructions weren't too clear to me.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion