Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
You're the man, Daedrix! Can you expand on where the pig tail would come from?

Part numbers for the fuel rail seem to be 12621662 or 12621663.
Anyone have the part numbers for the fuel injectors that are compatible with this fuel rail and the LM7/LM4 blocks?
When i did my swap i had to use the injectors that came with the fuel rail i got from the junk yard. My LM7 injectors were too short if i remember correctly. I then used a Mini-Dephi to EV6
pigtail pigtail

Last edited by Daedrix; 10-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:07 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Completed Swaps besides ACE Engineerings?

So- I've been subscribed to this thread since the start- I have a built- sleeved 4.6 in my Rover now- but when it goes (not if-I know better- even the improved sleeved lined Atlantic British motors are still just full of problems- like the oil pump) I want to put the LS in it with this kit. I think it's far better thought through using the factory GM engineerings mating and working with all the factory Rover stuff- unlike the other swap that is insanely complicated chasing the firing order or the engine among other things. But now that the kits are flowing out to customers- does anyone besides ACE have a completed- up and running rig yet with the swap? If so- can someone point me to the relevant post number? I've been scrolling through for some time and it seems like everyone is "almost done" but have complications with things like fuel rails and stuff that I thought would have been worked out in the kit itself with recommended motors?

Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by srvyjm
So- I've been subscribed to this thread since the start- I have a built- sleeved 4.6 in my Rover now- but when it goes (not if-I know better- even the improved sleeved lined Atlantic British motors are still just full of problems- like the oil pump) I want to put the LS in it with this kit. I think it's far better thought through using the factory GM engineerings mating and working with all the factory Rover stuff- unlike the other swap that is insanely complicated chasing the firing order or the engine among other things. But now that the kits are flowing out to customers- does anyone besides ACE have a completed- up and running rig yet with the swap? If so- can someone point me to the relevant post number? I've been scrolling through for some time and it seems like everyone is "almost done" but have complications with things like fuel rails and stuff that I thought would have been worked out in the kit itself with recommended motors?
This was back in July. It runs and drives just needs exhaust and intake plumbed.

Last edited by Daedrix; 10-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Brown (10-12-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:02 AM
4wd Low
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Break from the deep sand.

Mine is up and running. In fact I just tugged my airboat around Texas for teal season and work. I even pulled my airboat down a beach that had ruts so deep it was pulling the trailer axles through sand. It was some of the most impressive stuff I’ve seen an off-road vehicle do personally. Like I was telling a friend, “I thought to myself ‘my Jeep would handle this’. Then I looked in the mirror and remembered I was pulling my boat.

The thing about the swap is, there’s a few things like exhaust and transmission lines that you have to figure out yourself, which is one of my favorite parts about the kit. You’re not forced to buy a bunch of extras that dictate exactly how your set-up will be configured. Like exhaust y pipes and stuff like that. But at the same time, if you’re note used to solving these problems and you give some idea a shot, it might not work out and you’ll have to try something else. If you’re the type of person that doesn’t like, or can’t handle the stress of solving problems caused by doing a lot of the customization yourself then I would wait as the guess work will gradually work it’s way out.

Im hoping to start in number 2 soon. This one will be going to Canada soon enough to be with my old lady.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:12 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L33 almost ready to go

L33 getting close. Doing the harness myself and there's still some work to do on that too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Brown:
cds72911 (02-01-2022), Vegasdisco2 (02-06-2022)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been out of town for two weeks so, I hadn't got to move forward due to this crazy work schedule.

Just a couple days ago, the final electronics showed up in the mail, the hard parts showed up a couple weeks ago and are mostly installed. Hopefully I get a couple weekends free and I can get this thing in and fired up. At this point my major hold up will be scheduling with a buddy to help me do the transmission adapter/bell housing swap and install. From there I figure I can have it running a couple weekend days later, at least roughed in and able to drive.

The kit solves all the interchangeable issues but it'd be hard to include things like a fuel rail, many engines will come with the right one already so it'd be wasted dollars for it to be included, the same is true of some others parts since the application your 5.3 GM motor comes from dictates what other parts will be on it for the most part. In my case, I have chosen a aluminum block that happens to have many things that are not preferred, such as the wrong ECU, the wrong fuel rail, etc., still the lighter weight aluminum block was important to me so I'm going through the extra steps of sourcing out everything I need to hit my light weight LS swap goals.

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
gilberjm (10-12-2019), Matt Brown (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 PM
4wd Low

Not sure why my reply never got submitted. I’ve been pulling my boat with the LS swapped rover around Texas. I don’t have a thread about it though.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:52 PM
4wd Low

losinov (07-08-2020)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM
4wd Low

I’ve been pulling my airboat* around the entire second half of September. This airboat is such a wind drag even the new diesels struggle with pulling it. It still had to downshift uphill like a typical gas motor though. However, this rig gave me a badass show pulling a boat while off- road. I was dragging the trailer axles through sand, in low range diff lock. Admittedly, in a situation like that, the LS Rover makes my Jeep JK 2 door look like child’s play.

Im ready to start on build #2.

What else would you like to know? Should I make a thread? Unfortunately I didn’t make a thread while I was building.

Matt Brown (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think any of us would mind if you did a thread on any helpful info for us doing the swap.

I'd say put a link in here to go to it.

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
carter2042 (10-13-2019), Matt Brown (10-12-2019)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion