Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Well, I've officially got the engine completely landed and mated to the transmission, 4 difficult to install bolts going to the tq converter included!!! There's some tricks to this, I took photos and I'll elaborate at some point or if anyone inquires, no matter what though, it was a pain but it works.

Good news on the drive-shaft clearance issues. I'm quite confident now that I'm going to be able to get full or very close to full compression! I've documented again pre-post photos showing what will need to be ground out a bit but I don't see it being a huge structural concern. I still need to remove the passenger side spring and completely bottom it to the bump stop but I'm expecting it to be just about there. If it isn't, a combinations of other small changes will get it there. Bottom line is, it's a fixable situation if you wish it to be fixed so that you can retain full flex.

TC / Locker debates will continue! ..... but maybe not today. I've got to get this thing running before we can have fun forcing the limitations of this vehicle ha! One thing is for sure, if you don't need to give up TC, don't, it has it from the factory and this swap allows it to stay, so keep it, I don't think anyone here is going to compete at Calrocks this year in a Disco2 anyway.

Strangely, I've lost my bolts for the A/C compressor to be installed, I can't imagine where I "put them in a safe place where I wouldn't lose them" but it seems they're VERY safe wherever they have been placed, safely hidden from me included. I need starter bolts sourced but that's easy too and then I'll have the starter in.

Still needing a cable throttle body, transmission lines made up and the correct ECU but I'm getting closer. Next weekend I'll try to get most if not all of that done and be hopefully on my way to wiring related fun, which, I hate btw.

-Greg

congrats on completing, what I thought, was one of the hardest parts of the swap:torque converter bolts. Here are all the parts I used for my trans cooler setup. I did not have access to a hydraulic shop for custom fittings so I went with this setup. Pretty cheap overall and works great.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacob81
congrats on completing, what I thought, was one of the hardest parts of the swap:torque converter bolts. Here are all the parts I used for my trans cooler setup. I did not have access to a hydraulic shop for custom fittings so I went with this setup. Pretty cheap overall and works great.

You're a godsend! This is literally what I was getting on the computer for right now to start figuring out. Thank you!
-Greg

Old 01-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

You're a godsend! This is literally what I was getting on the computer for right now to start figuring out. Thank you!
-Greg
you need to hurry, the snow will be here this week

Old 01-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

^ Did my wife put you up to saying this?! She literally said that yesterday, ...... five times.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

^ Did my wife put you up to saying this?! She literally said that yesterday, ...... five times.
Haha!!!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a shop in Ohio that LS swaps discos.. they have an average price they usually run.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ccraft18
There's a shop in Ohio that LS swaps discos.. they have an average price they usually run.
You serious Clark?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,585 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by 328Driver
You serious Clark?

https://www.trailhead4x4.com/lsd2

Old 01-08-2020, 07:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on getting the motor in. I will watch for your posts on how much “fun” the electronics are. That literally scares me away from the project. I just have no experience in that department when it comes to engine swaps, of course it’s been a long time since I did one.🤔
Thus my previous posts and questions.
Best of luck, following with interest.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I love everything about this and I'm dead set on doing the swap I'm a a machinist so adapters and brackets are not really my problem I'm just wondering how would you wire up the transmission to run the 5.3 I'm new to the land rover and I'm having a hard time figuring out how everything works

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion