Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

My understanding is that they do talk to each other. I think this kit has great potential in helping those capable to do the swap. It doesn’t appear to be a bolt in swap as they usually never are. I wish I would of been one of the beta testers as my truck would be LS powered by now. I was impatient so
Instead I bought a 4.6 that’s getting rebuilt before I install which is taking forever.

As far as the d2 traction control I think it’s great for most off-roading except maybe rock crawling. For those of us in mud, snow and ruts it works better than lockers allowing steering control. Only thing better is selectable lockers which cost some serious coin.
turbo is your swap done yet? Or where are you at with it?

The following 2 users liked this post by Fastercat:
CollieRover (01-03-2020), whowa004 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

selectable lockers is the best option but the CDL engaged with traction control hasn't really left me wanting too much more. I did add an air locker in the rear and will probably do the front whenever I get around to re-gearing but I don't plan on using the front very often.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

As of just today I'm back to semi-reasonable hours so I'm going to start working on it this weekend.

As for folks on the locker talk, the TCS system is pretty limited in this vehicle in every respect. I'd much rather have real lockers than TCS in nearly every scenario honestly assuming you choose the right type of locker for what you're accomplishing. Full lockers (e-lock,Air, etc.) aren't fun on streets with snow, though they're great off-road in snow, instead other locker options can be well suited to this veihcle, one specifically comes to mind....

The main problem with our TCS is it's a knee jerk reaction kind of device. Essentially only once there's severe wheel spin and momentum is being given up does the TCS start to function and then it does so in a rather abrupt manner, sometimes repeatedly. This isn't great for snow, it's not great for rocks, it's not great for really anything, it's just better than nothing and it's driver friendly for soccer moms, oh and it's neato. The biggest problem is that you have to lose momentum for it to function, that's really the last thing you want off-road. I feel it might be blasphemy to remove the TCS system from the Rover though.

A Detroit Truetrac would be an EXCELLENT option for our vehicle as it would work kindly with our TCS and just as kindly without it. Truetrac systems allow for nearly completely open diff functioning daily driving but when wheel spin begins to occur, it instantly and predictably applies torque as needed mechanically until traction is regained. Fantastic in hard core rock crawling and great for street, mud it also works well with TCS without causing an issue as the TCS simply assists it in doing it's job. I suspect we'd see very little TCS function with the Truetrac installed and when it did happen it'd just further the lockup scenario. I would be a little concerned until I drove THIS particular vehicle in the snow with one using TCS at the same time but my experience living in extreme snow enviroments, I find them friendly in general in snow. For those looking for an option, it would be a good one. I'd probably ditch TCS though because the Truetrac is honestly going to do more than the TCS could have dreamed of doing. If you were going to add just one locker, I'd choose the front before the rear in something like a Jeep but with full time 4wd like our vehicles, using just one auto-locker can be unpredictable and dangerous so certainly lock both if using an autolocker like the Truetrac or Powertrax etc.

I did some further measuring on the drive-shaft clearance issue. I think it can be alleviated with a combinations of actions. I plan on doing two things this weekend. The first is get the torque converted bolted to the flex plate fully and the second is to start making clearance. I'll update here with my gains made and eventually remove the spring completely and prove it can fully compress (I hope) without raising the bump stop. I'll be sure to carefully document how much clearance I make from each action so folks can repeat it and not have to worry about it failing later.

-Greg

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:27 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see you are moving fwd with the swap. I think Ace was headed in the right direction but didn’t realize all the subtle electrical differences in these trucks, not only models and years, but mid year differences as well. The reason I was thinking after market instruments,LS motor with GM transmission and adapter to Land Rover transfer case was to get around the electrical issues with two ECUs ( rover and GM), and only have a GM ECU for engine control. I realize that could create fitting issues but those at least I understand. It’s sorting out the electrical that I think would be above my “pay grade” as far as the kit goes, thus my interest in eliminating the rover ECU. I have a feeling however that may get more complicated as well. Basically, stripping the truck of all things rover forward of the transfer case and (of course loss of TC, ABS, and Hill Descent ) and then figuring out how to connect other systems and features.
Apologies to the Land Rover purists 😎
Would love to know how much “other” stuff is rover ECU dependent.
Best of luck with the project. Anyone moving fwd makes it that much easier for all that follow.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

A lot of chatter about traction control and “locker use” - theory vs experience..
the traction control of these trucks is incredible & sounds like a bummer if lost.
I’m an example of someone who couldn’t think more opposite re: tru track & loss of TC. And could attest for scenarios where your speculation is simply not accurate.

It is really interesting following this LS thread-
Good luck to y’all. Looking fwd for some vids of fluent use!

Old 01-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
A lot of chatter about traction control and “locker use” - theory vs experience..
the traction control of these trucks is incredible & sounds like a bummer if lost.
I’m an example of someone who couldn’t think more opposite re: tru track & loss of TC. And could attest for scenarios where your speculation is simply not accurate.

It is really interesting following this LS thread-
Good luck to y’all. Looking fwd for some vids of fluent use!
Not to derail any more but, I have used downhill and manual mode on the trail and I can say I am glad I had it. It was what I would call an extreme condition (compact ice, rocks, trees, 25ish % grade, narrow trail, cliff on one side, embankment on other side) where me attempting to use the brakes and navigate could have caused a slide and potentially slide off the side of a mountain or down a VERY steep grade into trees or other truck.

I have the CDL and have yet to get the truck stuck where I needed another truck to save me, with the exception of beaching the truck twice in 3 feet of wet snow.

I want to see the LS Conversion work without having to swap these items and I hope it is possible.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I couldn’t agree more. I would love to keep all the functionality of the Land Rover, just not sure if it would be possible for me. Also concerned about ability to get ECUs reflashed in the future should I need one. Where as GM parts will be easily available until the world runs out of oil! 😂.
Definitely going to keep watching this forum to see where those with much more mechanical talent than I possess can take this. For now, I will just try to keep my 175,000 mile disco 2 well fed and watered and see how far she goes! Would really like to keep her but don’t know if a stock rebuild makes financial sense, thus my interest in the LS and a swap made as simple as possible.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:24 AM
Mudding
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but how would this work on SAI equipped vehicles? Is the transmission mode select retained? And I see people have brought up TC recently, is that lost with the swap?

Old 01-05-2020, 03:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I've officially got the engine completely landed and mated to the transmission, 4 difficult to install bolts going to the tq converter included!!! There's some tricks to this, I took photos and I'll elaborate at some point or if anyone inquires, no matter what though, it was a pain but it works.

Good news on the drive-shaft clearance issues. I'm quite confident now that I'm going to be able to get full or very close to full compression! I've documented again pre-post photos showing what will need to be ground out a bit but I don't see it being a huge structural concern. I still need to remove the passenger side spring and completely bottom it to the bump stop but I'm expecting it to be just about there. If it isn't, a combinations of other small changes will get it there. Bottom line is, it's a fixable situation if you wish it to be fixed so that you can retain full flex.

TC / Locker debates will continue! ..... but maybe not today. I've got to get this thing running before we can have fun forcing the limitations of this vehicle ha! One thing is for sure, if you don't need to give up TC, don't, it has it from the factory and this swap allows it to stay, so keep it, I don't think anyone here is going to compete at Calrocks this year in a Disco2 anyway.

Strangely, I've lost my bolts for the A/C compressor to be installed, I can't imagine where I "put them in a safe place where I wouldn't lose them" but it seems they're VERY safe wherever they have been placed, safely hidden from me included. I need starter bolts sourced but that's easy too and then I'll have the starter in.

Still needing a cable throttle body, transmission lines made up and the correct ECU but I'm getting closer. Next weekend I'll try to get most if not all of that done and be hopefully on my way to wiring related fun, which, I hate btw.

-Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
Richard Gallant (01-06-2020), whowa004 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Well, I've officially got the engine completely landed and mated to the transmission, 4 difficult to install bolts going to the tq converter included!!! There's some tricks to this, I took photos and I'll elaborate at some point or if anyone inquires, no matter what though, it was a pain but it works.
Congrats on completing a huge milestone!! I'm a few steps behind you so would definitely love to see any additional photos that you took, especially ones that document how you got through a difficult step.
Keep at it!

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion