Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

On my birthday I had the wife indulge me
for an hour and we took an lr4 for a test drive. Man that 5.0 was awesome. I will have a 5.0 powered lr4 one day. From what I’ve researched if you keep up on the maintenance and do the timing chain guide upgrade your all set.
I originally wanted to be one of ave’s beta testers but it didn’t happen so I’m doing the rover v8 build for my d2 but if he eventually offers the conversion parts I would be interested in converting the p38. To me that’s a cruiser that could use the power.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastercat
On my birthday I had the wife indulge me
for an hour and we took an lr4 for a test drive. Man that 5.0 was awesome. I will have a 5.0 powered lr4 one day. From what I’ve researched if you keep up on the maintenance and do the timing chain guide upgrade your all set.
I originally wanted to be one of ave’s beta testers but it didn’t happen so I’m doing the rover v8 build for my d2 but if he eventually offers the conversion parts I would be interested in converting the p38. To me that’s a cruiser that could use the power.
I love the p38 body but not the electronics, maybe body swap the disco and the p38 and then I’ll be happy, and keep air ride.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

ACE Can you make this? I found it on a South African 4X4 forum. Its a 4l60e to lt230 adapter. I'de buy one if you can make it

Old 12-22-2019, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Not going to lie I would stuff that package in the 110 all day long lol

Old 12-23-2019, 07:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting directions this has gone. Let's hope there's more to come.

Letting this swap simply die would be a shame.

The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
Roverbeachbum (12-23-2019), stereophile33 (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 08:13 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would think a ford coyote 5.0 would be a more doable swap.
That would be awesome, but I don't think it would fit.
It's torque would probably grenade the D2 transmission(if it could even be adapted to it), but with the 10spd Ford...yeah, I'de drive that, lol.
I have the 3.5 ecoboost in my '19 F150, and it has 100 more foot pounds of torque than the 5.0 does.
That set up in a D2 would be incredible.
A wrecked late model F150 with the drive train and wiring harness, swapped into a D2(weekend driveway swap, lol), now we're talking.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Forgive my ignorance. My mechanic skills are not at the level of most on this forum. I was curious if by using an LS motor with a GM trans and adapter to discovery transfer case could one bypass the electronic issues with the discovery ECU and transmission? Using aftermarket dash cluster and just doing away with traction control, hill descent, and ABS, wouldn’t you just have an old school four wheeler or is the disco ECU just too integral to the truck. Learning lots from this forum, apologies if it’s a stupid question. I was thinking that if I could dumb down the complexity of the swap it might be something I could handle. Thoughts?.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:19 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roverbeachbum
Forgive my ignorance. My mechanic skills are not at the level of most on this forum. I was curious if by using an LS motor with a GM trans and adapter to discovery transfer case could one bypass the electronic issues with the discovery ECU and transmission? Using aftermarket dash cluster and just doing away with traction control, hill descent, and ABS, wouldn’t you just have an old school four wheeler or is the disco ECU just too integral to the truck. Learning lots from this forum, apologies if it’s a stupid question. I was thinking that if I could dumb down the complexity of the swap it might be something I could handle. Thoughts?.
yes, if you do not care about retaining TC/Hill descent then you can definitely just use gm engine/trans and gm ECU to control drivetrain. Issue will be mounts for trans/engine and transfer case mounting and alignment/front driveshaft

Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

On that note.....

Traction control in this vehicle is a pretty sad system all in all. I mean, a cheap locking diff front and rear would be FAR superior off-road than our disco's TC system. As for hill decent..... it's called a brake pedal, LOL. I don't understand hill decent function at all, that is, I don't understand how any engineer could ever have imagined it being needed or worth developing. Today's vehicles have disc brakes! Notice every Jeep seems to do absolutely fine in the most insane off-road situations without "hill decent".

So with that said, yeah probably a very reasonable thing to consider, GM motor, tranny and gauges etc.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the big question then is how dependent are the other systems in the disco on the ECU. Guessing ABS will be gone, although Not really sure if it would be a big difference. How about systems like air conditioning,stereo, etc. Aren’t they all tied to the ECU? It almost seems like stripping the truck of it’s modern technology and eliminating all that prevents an LS install rather than trying to work with the disco ECU would make it doable. Then building up from there. I just wonder what else would be lost when ECU comes out.
Again, my experience is limited to much older types of swaps, I don’t speak ECU.😱

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion