Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Hmmm..... seems I've got a cooling change to make. Bummer, I had it the other way first, now I'm switching it again it seems. Glad you posted the video. I have no love for the stock cooling on a disco so I'd much prefer it not in the mix. I was not aware of any LS T-stat being already incorporated into the housing. I'm not an LS guy by any means and I owned a Land Rover 1.5 weeks before the block cracked so most all of this is totally new to me.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 04-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by wjsj69
Kinda what I was thinking but saw the oem t-stat and tee fitting on 05turbo's setup..
You won't see it in my future photos. I just got done ripping all that back out. Sad thing is I had it installed correctly the first time, then removed it all to install a T-stat, now only to remove it again this morning. 9 month long project that shoulda taken me 2 weekends start to finish, every step has gone something like this for me.

Now I've just laid out my two harnesses and I'm looking over the instructions. I was hoping someone would beat me to the punch on this part and do a walk through but it looks like that'll be me. lol

There's only a few wires I think I have to actually deal with. Though, interestingly the pin out diagrams on my ECU don't match the descriptions/locations provided by the manufacturer I bought my new harness from. Starting with the power pin out.... something you don't want to screw up.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 04-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling

*****************************INCORRECT INFO IN THIS POST / PLEASE IGNORE IT ***************************
Starting on my install of the PSI LS harness, most of it works out nicely. It would seem I've the wrong connector on the harness or I have the wrong CPS sensor on the motor I've procured, the little notch inside is on the wrong side. I suppose this is an issue with it being a Gen III/IV hybrid motor?

>>> Update, I have the grey 58x sensor so that looks correct. PSI harness has a GEN III connector it seems. I would need a GEN IV to go to that 58x connector. Looks like this part is on the later parts list, though I thought with custom harness this was already handled, so ordering this connector now.

Does this mean I should be ordering a connector and cutting the PSI harness GEN III off to replace it with the GEN IV? Below, circled in Blue is what I have currently.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 04-11-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Starting on my install of the PSI LS harness, most of it works out nicely. It would seem I've the wrong connector on the harness or I have the wrong CPS sensor on the motor I've procured, the little notch inside is on the wrong side. I suppose this is an issue with it being a Gen III/IV hybrid motor?

>>> Update, I have the grey 58x sensor so that looks correct. PSI harness has a GEN III connector it seems. I would need a GEN IV to go to that 58x connector. Looks like this part is on the later parts list, though I thought with custom harness this was already handled, so ordering this connector now.

Does this mean I should be ordering a connector and cutting the PSI harness GEN III off to replace it with the GEN IV? Below, circled in Blue is what I have currently.
No, the LM4 is a Gen 3 engine. The GM ECM needs the Gen 3 24x sensor that should already be in the engine (black). The correct connector on the harness. You should put 24x plug on the PSI harness to the sensor at the back of the engine above the starter. There is more info in the dashboard manual.

The GM 58x sensor and connector was for the ACE/Rover harness. There were issues with using the GM 58x sensor on the later model years, so reverted to the Bosch/Land Rover sensor setup.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Ah ok, so the GM is getting it's expected signal as designed then from it's original location and original sensor, that makes sense, I thought I was to use the 58x as well as the Rover in some fashion.

Thanks for saving me the time on this!!!!! Appreciated.

The good news is I'm very close to getting this done and I've lots of notes and photos to help the next fellas along.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 04-11-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone else have an issue with the power steering pump low pressure port hitting the water pump after the modifications? I've got an LM4 and the water pump is definitely in the way.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
Anyone else have an issue with the power steering pump low pressure port hitting the water pump after the modifications? I've got an LM4 and the water pump is definitely in the way.
It's tight, but clearing. The water pump is a new Duralast. Not the best picture, hard to get a camera down there.

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 04-12-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rackolamb1
Yup, mine was real tight as well. I attached the hose to the power steering pump while it was still unattached from the engine's accessory bracket. It was much easier than connecting the hose once the pump was already bolted to the accessory bracket.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Very tight on my setup as well but able to force the hose on.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:02 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm hoping to start in the next couple of weeks motor almost ready and platform is done

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (04-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion