Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Few questions perhaps folks can quickly point out, because I only owned this vehicle for a week and a half before the engine block cracked, I never learned the Rover side of it very well and I know very little about the LS motor though that's odd to me with how common it is.

I've color coded some lines I'm a little unsure about, 6 of them. The Blue and Green are coolant, though I'm assuming I need to extend these or something, haven't read that far yet. The other 4, I am unsure about and could use a point in the right direction.

Yellow ----- has some sensor on it a few inches back, it has connections as though it's fuel related but I'm assuming it's some kind of vacuum line, not sure where it should be going.
Orange/ Violet ----- Look like coolant lines, no idea.
White ---- vacuum line, no idea what to do with this little fella.

Many thanks, I'm getting closer!

-Greg

Old 02-19-2020, 04:05 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K

Few questions perhaps folks can quickly point out, because I only owned this vehicle for a week and a half before the engine block cracked, I never learned the Rover side of it very well and I know very little about the LS motor though that's odd to me with how common it is.

I've color coded some lines I'm a little unsure about, 6 of them. The Blue and Green are coolant, though I'm assuming I need to extend these or something, haven't read that far yet. The other 4, I am unsure about and could use a point in the right direction.

Yellow ----- has some sensor on it a few inches back, it has connections as though it's fuel related but I'm assuming it's some kind of vacuum line, not sure where it should be going.
Orange/ Violet ----- Look like coolant lines, no idea.
White ---- vacuum line, no idea what to do with this little fella.

Many thanks, I'm getting closer!

-Greg
blue and green are your heater hoses, these go to your water pump so make sure you know which is the inlet which is the outlet. The inlet needs to also be sourced from the expansion tank. I can get a few pictures when I’m back home for you.

the yellow looks like your PCV valve line. This hooks up to the port on the top end of the intake right behind the throttle body on the passenger side. I actually have a picture of this attached.

the orange is the passenger side heater plate port. There should be an identical port on the driver side of the throttle body as well. I personally don’t have any coolant running to these (because my heater plate leaks) so I just run the crossover coolant line straight over to the expansion tank. What you’ll want to do is run a coolant line (same size as driver side) to your expansion tank.

the violet port should be routed directly over to the port on your passenger valve cover. See pic attached.

the white vacuum line is for the brake booster I believe and it should mate to the port on the rear driver side end of the intake manifold. If you still have the red quick connect collar then you might be able to get in snug but if your like me it won’t fit in there very well. I still need to get a new fitting for this so that it’s sealed correctly.

hope this helps

Old 02-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Very helpful!

I was directed to block off that port the PCV is plugged into, one more part I suppose I didn't need to buy and then need to buy the correct one. ha
Looks like you'e blocked off the other port however so I'll buy that to block that one off instead and get the other with a nipple on it as you have.

Thanks much for the photos, I'll compare tomorrow to mine and see what I can straighten out.

-Greg

Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Finally able to get back on this project today through Sunday!

That said, any photos of the installation of coolant system and vacuum hoses etc is surely appreciated by a couple of us whom are at this same point right now. I'm hoping to get the coolant system in place today and get started on the wiring harness fun tomorrow through Sunday.

Getting so close!!!!!

(Sidenote) experimenting with different EVAP (still coded in yellow) location options and such still, so I've just plugged it in where it MIGHT work currently. I also trimmed the Rover radiator shroud to fit, which took some work but I figure it'll be far more effective in cooling if we keep that shroud intact and trim as needed. It just barely fits. The motor sits lower and tilted toward the passenger side so the shroud had to be trimmed accordingly. the nice part is, the cover for the shroud on top of the motor now sits in it's factory position and looks proper.

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 03-08-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling

LT1swap never responded when I emailed them for programming.

Anyone else have any contacts for programming our GM PCM? It'd be nice if it's someone who's done what we need done already, perhaps that'd make it easier for them. I better get this thing off soon, don't want it to be the hold up!

Old 03-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 425 Likes on 295 Posts

The 'T' hose connector allows for loop bypass through the top of T stat until T stat opens and then the radiator is included into the cooling process through bottom of T stat. The 'White' pipe is the main return HOT from heads/lower intake manifold on old V8. It collects hot coolant and sends it into the closed or open cooling loops.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Sure but in the one photo I'm seeing, there doesn't appear to be a thermostat in the mix. Thus my questions begin.

EDIT> Yes there's photos where it looks like there's no thermostat installed, I'm guessing that was termporary and probably fine in a warm weather climate for testing. However, I'm still experiencing freezing temps so I won't play that game ha. That said, I believe I have the coolant system ready to go!

Just need someone to confirm I have it correct in the photos below.

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 03-08-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Can anyone confirm this is correct? It's basically as the Rover was except I've removed the plastic 4 way "Y" section (marked in green tape in prior photos) so that largest hose is plugged into the water pump directly. Then the "white taped" metal hard-line is removed and that hose gets plugged into the other side of the water pump. Lastly the temp sensor gets spliced in wherever it can fit which, from the fitment I see should be placed so that it doesn't force the hoses any closer towards the pulley system. I'm still working on the best location for that temp sensor unless anyone has ideas there. Possibly drivers side right out of the radiator inlet?

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 03-08-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Next questions:

- I've found that the throttle pedal when fully depressed doesn't open past say, 75% throttle on the intake manifold.
- Cruise control, it's not difficult to hookup the cruise control cable to the pulley but, will there be issues if it's throw isn't exact for the same reason as the gas pedal issue currently stated?

There's a couple ways to go about changing this but I'm curious if anyone can share what they've done to fix this.

BONUS QUESTION:
-The instructions say to connect the throttle body coolant hose back to the expansion tank, there's 2 options of where it could go. The bottom is taken already by the "T" added in the heater lines, the top has one filled by the radiator "overflow?" line just like the factory had, which leaves one small line on the bottom and one small line near the top. Not sure which of those two should be used by the throttle body coolant hose. I took a guess in the photo above and just ran a line from the throttle body to expansion tank but it's a 50/50 guess.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 03-08-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Hmm, nobody? Covid19 take everyone out? lol

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion