Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Idle is consistently above 700 when I first fire it up. Considering i'm in an open fuel loop it's not surprising that the idle is fine. With AC off i'm seeing 720-730 RPMs. With AC on it dips to 700-720. I'll also get idle surge when pulling up to a stop light and sometimes the idle will fall so low after highway driving that the engine dies. I have a feeling that my issue is with the tune I have on it since I have a 2004 GTO tune and a new more aggressive cam. Possibly a bad Idle air control valve?

Thanks for that bellhousing block off plate, I'll definitely try that out.

Fuel pressure is ~54 psi? while running. Not sure if it drops while sitting still. Dirty fuel injectors is possible, although I dont have any misfires.
Swapped the polarities today on the VSS wires which did nothing. Confirmed that the Rover ECU does give a vehicle speed on my bluetooth scanner so its something on the swap side. I'm thinking I need to solder all the wires properly.
Did you send your flexplate back to ACE? I might need to drop the transmission so might as well replace the flexplate while i'm under there.
After it sits for a while/overnight and before turning the key, push in the schrader valve and see if there is good pressure in the fuel rail. Obviously take care not to spray fuel everywhere. Mine ran fine once started, no misfires, but took a few seconds to build up the lost pressure from the leaking injectors. I second getting that cam code resolved.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

You could even leave a gauge on the fuel pressure schrader valve when you shut it down and watch it over the next few minutes, hours and then overnight. At the very least, like suggested above, just confirm fuel pressure is there at all, that's at least a start. If there's even SOME pressure then the fuel is present at the injector and that mostly rules that issue out, if there's no pressure then take my suggestion to see how long before it's falling off and why.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I’d focus on fixing that camshaft position code. That can cause all sorts of issues like you describe, like the slow starting, open loop, idle irregularities. Especially if you changed the cam. The idle fuel map could also play a role. Depends on the specific code you're getting as well.

Keep in mind also that the early LS engines have the rear cam timing trigger in the back of the cam, but some other cams only support the front cam sensor trigger on the cam gear, meaning if you want certain cams, you also have to switch the front cover, cam sensor, and timing gear to run them. I’m not saying this is happening to you, but its something for others to be aware of in the future.
HOPE EVERYONE READS THAT LAST PART, easy way to get messed up if you don't know better. I wouldn't have known this.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll make sure to report back when I have more results. Currently working with ACE and Speartech to figure out the speed sensor issue.
The cam code hasn't come back recently so going to put that one on the back-burner for now and confirm fuel pressure first.

For those interested, here's the cam that I went with: BTR GEN III & IV TRUCK CAM - STAGE 1 - V2 - BTR30612120

Old 09-17-2020, 12:26 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

How much Transmission Fluid have you guys used when putting everything back together?
Getting ready to pull the torque converter & replace the bell housing, getting my fluids together...wondering if I need to fill the whole system up again or just a top up?

thanks

Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by losinov
Thank you for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll make sure to report back when I have more results. Currently working with ACE and Speartech to figure out the speed sensor issue.
If you can find a local tuner that has HPTuners, EFI Live, etc. they might be able to take a look and help narrow down or sort out some of the idle / starting issues. I also found this LS Droid app, which is supposed to be a free option to read GM PCM tunes with an Android device and certain OBD readers. I haven’t tried it, but might be worth buying a junkyard PCM and seeing if it works. I would, but I don’t have any Android devices.

Ls Droid

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-released.html
Originally Posted by 604x4BC
How much Transmission Fluid have you guys used when putting everything back together?
Getting ready to pull the torque converter & replace the bell housing, getting my fluids together...wondering if I need to fill the whole system up again or just a top up?
I would just do a full drain and refill. Probably a good idea to drop the transmission pan and change the transmission filter while you're in there. You have to disconnect and reroute the trans cooler lines, which will make a big mess if it's not drained.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:17 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron

I would just do a full drain and refill. Probably a good idea to drop the transmission pan and change the transmission filter while you're in there. You have to disconnect and reroute the trans cooler lines, which will make a big mess if it's not drained.

Thanks Cap!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Some updates!
Swapped out my cam sensor and the engine fires up within 1-2 seconds now which feels just like it should. Ironically the cam sensor that I pulled the engine with from the junkyard is the one that I put back into the engine. The new one I bought and installed while rebuilding the engine is the one that was causing my issues. For some reason I'm getting flashing M&S lights more frequently as of late. Need to read more about what could possible cause this, I have a feeling it might be my old battery that came with the car.

As far as the vehicle speed sensor reading on the GM side, I'm still troubleshooting. Got familiar with a multi-meter this weekend and confirmed all my grounds are showing proper resistance measurements. Cleaned up as many of them as possible and reconnected. Next on the list is to try a different grounding point for the GM ECU. I did lengthen the ground wire on the GM harness to have it reach the drivers side ground strap and that could apparently cause some issues with my wiring and the ECB box. Going to move the ground to one of the holes on the valve cover that gave me a good reading when testing.

My idle seems to have improved as well. I'm not sure if it's due to me cleaning up some of my grounding points but I'll take it!

Old 09-22-2020, 01:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For those that have a whistle from the flex plate, this is what I am using to plug some of the holes. I'd suggest a minimum of 6. I found these at Lowes but you can also order from Lowe's online.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Rock Crawling

Good option to fix that whiling sound. My wife heard it the moment she drove it. ....... naturally.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion