Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander 1 V6, still oil in coolant after head gasket change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freelander 1 V6, still oil in coolant after head gasket change!

Hello,

I know this is probably not the first post on this topic, but I would still like to try to get some opinions on what, if anything, to try next in my particular situation.

Freelander 1 V6, ES, 2003 model, 127.000 kilometer.

Recent jobs done: Full service, cambelt with tensioners and idlers, drive belts, water pump, oil cooler, termostat, head gaskets with new bolts etc.

After service the car runs supersmooth, temperature is perfect and very stable, no coolant disappearing (using red coolant), oil level stable (at least no dramatic loss).

No obvious issues when examining heads, no apparent sylinder lining trouble, only a very minor need for machining the tops. Before the work was done it leaked quite a bit of engine oil to the coolant, but not the other way (at least no sludgly white oil to be seen). After heads has been overhauled, there are some oil in the coolant (very little), and probably less than before. Perhaps it is residue in the system - hope, hope ;-)

Question - looking away from a cracked cylinder or head(s) (which is probably not worth doing anything about anyway), are there any other places where oil and coolant mix in this vehicle? Anything else that could be done?

Appreciate your experience and input - it is a shame to give up on this car, it is in perfect condition, and everything works apart from the oil in coolant issue!. I will of course drive it until it dies, but if there is anything additional to be done to extend its life that would be great!

Regards, A.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Left over oil after flush out and repairs can be cleaned out with Alkaline cleaner, Disodium trioxosilicate, pentahydrate. Mercedes Part number is 001 986 21 71 (500 grams). Don't know if LR has similar chemical packaged, or if you can google the chemical name and find an off the shelf equal. Some have posted on here about using Cascade dishwasher liquid, I have used that and it does flush, but like most things it is no miracle cure. Very small oil skim in coolant jug can be wicked up with PIG MAT or similar oil soak-up paper pad, or even paper towels.

The attached plumbing plan shows three other coolers on the water path, the oil cooler, tranny cooler, and Intermediate Reduction Drive. So a cross over leak is possible, just much less likely. Wish I had a dollar for every hose clamp.....

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
free cooling.pdf (739.3 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM
3rd Gear

Great, thanks! Perhaps it is worth doing another coolant change and flush-out! Will consider! Thanks.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:09 PM
4wd Low

on this PDF on free cooling file attached i notes that the top is hot and the bottom is cold is it the normal case? some one mentioned to me that both should be cold advice?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

liners always slip. add oil dye, if it shows up its bad.