General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 RR SC, "Reduced Engine Performance" msg. Related to SC Auxiliary Coolant Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 RR SC, "Reduced Engine Performance" msg. Related to SC Auxiliary Coolant Pump?

This is prolly one for the LR Master Techs...

I've just reached abt 50,000 mi on a 2008 RR SC and now have gotten the trouble code message "Reduced Engine Performance". In the past, I have experienced/complained abt reduced power (despite it being SC) at various times, especially on cold starts, accelerating to enter major highways, and/or accelerating to maintain high speed on major highways. Dealer never had a good reason for the lack of power/pickup that I experienced.

There's a TSB that states certain VINs on RR SC had the auxiliary coolant pump wired backwards. It seems alot of 2006s were affected, but I have a 2008 model year. The TSB states that the coolant pump wires need to be switched, but also that the performance of the pump itself may be degraded after running backwards for approx 50,000 miles.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and know how I can determine if my VIN is affected? It looks like I can subscribe for access to the full TSB, but I figured I'd ask if anyone had info first.

I think the TSB # is LTB00041v2. I prolly will need to take it to a LR dealer to see if there is a recall or other remedy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Check engine light?

My LR3 would get the reduced performance message, and reading code showed multiple misfires. After some troubleshooting and swapping coils from cylinder to cylinder, I replaced the coils and the problem went away.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, no CEL. But, honestly, vehicle's never felt SC'd. I've owned and driven fast cars, but the RR SC never seemed to be the racehorse that it's supposed to be . Lol. I've lost power and drive on various occasions too many times when I really needed pickup. Not pleased .

I got the Reduced Engine Performance message while stuck in traffic during August, the day 2 tractor trailers took out all northbound lanes b/t certain exits on NJ Tnpk. While driving, I searched for info on what message meant (to see if I'd be next vehicle stranded in that mess), and found info abt RR SC auxiliary coolant pump and related TSB on another Forum. I couldn't find any info on this Forum, so thought I'd start a new thread. Vehicle is a 2008 and just out of its LR manufacturer factory warranty period. No surprise there !

Seems like it should be a LR recall, but what do I know ?