Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

96 body electrical control module??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 body electrical control module??

I own a 96 disco se7 with a 5 speed recently the srs light came on, the abs light came on (and quit functioning), the cruise doesn't set, and the head lights are sparadically dim (some times drivers some times passengers never both at same time). none of the above are consistent (except for the cruise not working). Also the rear windows dont function and the front power seats and cigar lighter have quit working. which led me to believe it would be the body electrical control module. However roverland told me that I don't have a BeCM. Where do I start? Is there a fuse box in the engine compartment that may have started to fail? Is the box under the passenger side dash with the 2 plugs the ECU? I need help!!!!! To bad there isn't a scared icon.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a fuse box under the hood. Start looking at grounds. The SRS is usually a good indication of a low voltage situation. Turn on your headlights and start jiggling wires. Start under the hood and work your way to the passenger side under the dash. Yes, your ECU is there.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM
4wd High
Default ECU vs. BECM

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
There is a fuse box under the hood. Start looking at grounds. The SRS is usually a good indication of a low voltage situation. Turn on your headlights and start jiggling wires. Start under the hood and work your way to the passenger side under the dash. Yes, your ECU is there.
I have a 1996 Discovery SE7 (USA automatic) and my ECU is underhood, shielded against the inner fender. Is the ECU in the dash area a BECM? Mine was diagnosed by the dealer as having a ground fault, resulting in sporadic operation of my rear windows. Would like to know the correct location of the unit.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On a D1 there is no BECM or BCU. There is a window ECU under the dash. You can download the RAVE shop and electrical manual set for free below.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 AM
4wd High
Default Dealer diagnosis

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
On a D1 there is no BECM or BCU. There is a window ECU under the dash.
This makes trips to my local Land Rover dealer a scary proposition, after paying them thousands for parts and repairs on my Range Rovers and Discoverys. They wanted to replace the "Body Control Module" to repair the intermittent rear window function. Claimed to have traced the problem from the underhood fuse box directly to the "BCM," and found a ground fault in the unit Nearly $200 parts and labor additional to replace. Maybe the techs just call all controls for windows, etc., BCMs, like on later model year Land Rover vehicles?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Window ecu is behind the glovebox. The rear windows not working is a bad solder joint inside the window ecu. Drop the glovebox completely down, remove the card edge connector,grasp the circuit board with needle nose pliers and yank it straight backwards to remove, reflow solder joints and put it back in. Reconnect plug and test windows.

Common problem on DI's. Paypal your appreciation to dannyleebullseye@hotmail.com

Old 08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I suspect that we are both right, the tech calls any module a body control module; and the windows do have their own ECU, but it just does the windows. Cold solder joint in it will make things not work.