General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't read OBDII engine codes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't read OBDII engine codes??

Hello,
I have a high end code scanner by Actron that cost over $250 six months ago. It is the kind that reads all of the live vehicle data as well as any codes stored by the computer. I have used this on many cars and it has worked flawlessly. Last night my P38's check engine light came on. I hooked up my reader and it said that there were no codes. I did the erase and and it said that the "command was sent." I started the truck up and the light was off. After driving for a little while the light came back on. I hooked up my reader again and it said "Pass, no codes found." I erased it again and the light is now off. While my reader was hooked up I was able to view the live data such as coolant temp, RPM, MAF, O2, and things like that. I know that it is communicating with the ECU.

Why can't it read the codes but is still able to reset them? Does anybody have the make/model of a cheap reader that will read the codes?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

This is a strange one. The only thing I can think of it is a fault, that your scanners software can't access, like SRS, EAS or ABS, just a thought.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a cheap obd scanner off ebay that does everything yours does. It was about 12 dollars plus shipping. You have to connect it to your laptop though and install some software. On your current one, make sure the baud rate is correct. Mine is set at 38400. You could also take it to autozone and have them read the codes for free.

Last edited by LRScott; 09-01-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling

My reader is the same brand as the ones they use at autozone, it is just a higher end model. My SRS light is also on and I am going to be posting about that soon but I don't think that is the issue right now. My EAS system seems to work as is it should and I haven't had any error messages from that. I was under the impression that the EAS and SRS couldn't cause the Check Engine light to come on since they have their own warning lights/messages.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SRS light is probably just a connector under the seat (common problem). I don't think that the srs light, or anything eas related will trigger the check engine light. The light is not "service engine soon", right? If it is the check engine light, it may be a code that only the dealer diagnostics can pick up, although I doubt that. You could try disconnecting the battery and letting the rover sit for a good 40 seconds just to drain everything out (may help may not). Worth a shot though since its free .

Last edited by LRScott; 09-01-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling

It is not the Service Engine Soon light. I am able to erase the code so I don't think I will benefit from disconnecting the battery other than trying to improve my time at getting everything reset. It is just strange that I can read the live data and erase the code but I can't read it. The truck runs like a top so I am not overly concerned but I would still like to know.