General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking Control unit????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Locking Control unit????

Ive got a 1995 RRLWB.

awesome truck and I'm doing all sorts of modifications and stuff. I bought the rover with Non working door locks, the man wasn't good with his hands and didn't have the time to investigate. all that was needed was some lube on the locking parts and the Fuse no longer blew and the door locks worked as good as new.that was 4 months ago......

Recently, I locked the doors and Boom i blew a fuse, so i figures they were getting some resistance for lack of lube, I Lubed up the locks but the dam fuse is still blowing EVEN WHEN ONLY 1 DOOR LOCK IS PLUGGED INTO THE SYSTEM! I'm running out of patients and FUSES.

does anyone know where the central locking control unit is??

Im hoping there is some relay or some short somewhere, I Dont care where the problem is i just want to know whats causing this.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In the RAVE, the electrical manuals for your truck indicate the BECM (includes locking module functions) is under the right hand front seat. I saw four fuses that had lock interface, F14, F15, F22, and F9 - Which one is blowing?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Actually, A fuse is blowing on the bottom left hand strip of the fuse panel tucked up under neath the steering wheel. The bottom left hand one, i believe its a 15 amp fuse.

I found the Central locking relay box for a lack of a better word i think. tucked up by the kick panel by the front passengers feet, little black box with 2 wire harnesses to it and a radio wire for the remote.

I haven't checked under the passenger seat. It just suddenly had tremendous load on the system and the locks would barley engage before blowing the fuse. Ill take a look under the seat.

1995 RRLWB "Classic"

Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling

looking into the links you showed me, I found the schematic diagram of the black box that I found, And indeed the fuse that is blowing is F15 I believe, the only difference is that the fuse is located up under the steering wheel and the box for the Antenna is located under the front kick panel as I mentioned earlier. Im wondering if some relay is starting to fail.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Try opening all the doors and lock all the latches. Replace the fuse
and recheck your central locks. It is possible the harness in one of the doors is chafing and shorting on the door frame, door check strap or the wires broke in the loom from body to door and are shorting on each other. If this is the case, you should be able to isolate the door with the short by opening and closing them one by one until the fuse blows again. Then you can remove door panel and look for the physical short circuit.
Hope this helps...

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

F15 runs a bunch of stuff - and the tailgate door latch, and like Mike G say, that flexible hose covered cable could be a problem on the back door. Other doors are run by other fuses, but F15 also runs some audio amps in the doors, so circuits for it could be in the same bundle and covering. See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuse 15.pdf (568.4 KB, 505 views)
File Type: pdf
f15 a.pdf (464.4 KB, 407 views)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the links, I really need to get the manual for the Rover, I've been working out of a huge shop manual for a 1990 to 1993 rover.

I took some tests and I found out that the right rear passenger doors Locking motor isn't engaging and electrical tests confirm this "electrical tester". The drivers side passenger door will lock but not unlock. What im doing is leaving the two rear doors un plugged from the system to lighten the load on the front two doors. Im still hesitant to do this due to the load on the front doors "still a little high".

Instead of wasting fuses I got a breaker, I upped the amps from a 15 amp fuse to a 20 amp breaker. the only two doors on the system are the front two, the rear hatch has been disconnected for some time. Im still looking for the culprit though. I've got a 1994 jaguar xj6 and nearly all the parts are similar, such as the mass airflow sensor, I'm hoping the lock servos are the same.