General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Plastic interior parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Plastic interior parts

We restore Classic Range Rovers and are coming across parts that are impossible to find in an unbroken state. We have found that 3D printed parts do not have the strength or surface finish we require.

We would like to start remanufacturing some of the internal trim plastic parts, but as always, injection mouldings require expensive tooling and a large quantity of parts to make it worthwhile to the moulder.

We are looking at Injection moulding the centre dash moulding that supports the radio and climate control on soft dash Range Rover, and the instrument bezel for the same car.

We would like to get an idea of the number of people that would support this exercise by buying the parts, the price clearly being defined by the number of interested parties.

If we get successful response to this exercise, there are many other parts we intend to look at, such as door pulls and door speakers for soft dash and fuse box covers, seat base access panels, and would welcome further ideas.

The first bit though is to understand the demand, if any!

The following users liked this post:
GoinRovin (01-13-2020)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just talking to my wife about this. I have a P38, not a classic. The PO of my P38 (or whoever worked on it) made a mess out of the dashboard. I just got into it recently to run the ARB wires for the rear locker. The plastic is indeed cheap and people should read instructions before messing with it.

The knee panel (below the steering wheel) had all 4 bits of plastic (spacers) where you screw it to the dashboard over tightened, which broke all 4 plus some cracks in the panel. I found a perfect used one. Absent that I guess one could grind them down and make some spacers out of tubing.

The speedometer surround is wanked at the bottom (tabs broken) and at the top (the parts that go into the top of the dash were ripped out (not unscrewed) and where they go into the dash pad underside is broken. Not sure what I'll do about that yet. I was unable to find a speedometer surround here or in the UK that wasn't pre-wanked and/or glued together. I finally ordered one from a guy in Malaysia made from fiberglass which I would think is going to be much sturdier than the cheap plastic. I have yet to receive it.

The center console seems fine save for the little vented trim piece that goes over the temperature sensor and center bin (no GPS). It was pried that off on the left so it kind of flops. I've had the bottom apart around the shift lever and no problems there (amazingly).

One would think that a $70k car when new would have better plastic.

As to the center piece I have no need for one at the current time.

Things I would like to see?

A front cup holder that holds something more than a coffee cup (Think Yeti, large soda, Vitamin Water, Gatorade, etc).

The cup holder in the center panel is also too small and too shallow. I have been thinking of making a top piece to fit over it that has larger holes for bigger cups/sodas, that would use the existing screw holes with spacers to raise it up a few inches.

Last edited by jhmover; 05-01-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:54 AM
3rd Gear

I was in a P38 today. it seems like the Interior trim dept at Solihull learned no lessons from the Range Rover Classic ! Similar creaks, rattles and broken plastic

Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy what you listed for my '95 and would encourage the idea of the seat bases. Also, rear seat finishers (l-shaped trim at the bottom corners) in stronger material so kids don't break them with their feet on entry/exit.

For my hard dash '91 I would buy the instrument cluster cover (bad sun fade becoming brittle) and shifter surround and cubby (basically all the pieces behind the radio bezel).

Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks Gervin, we'll add those to our 'potential' list and hope that other people want the same as you.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to add sun visors to the potential list. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're all beige and fit all years or at least 87-95. All the ones I've seen are puffy and falling apart. Having a set of hard visors would be awesome.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

Did anything come of this?

The following users liked this post:
GoinRovin (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2/93's. A SWB for parts and a LWB I'm restoring. I don't even know where to begin taking apart my dash. I'm afraid to break the plastics. If you start making them I would like to know. Thank you.