General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello all...please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello all...please help!

I just replaced the alternator in my 89 Classic yesterday and it seemed to run fine. It turned right overand I drove for about 20 minutes without any problems. However, I came out to start it today and the oil light and parking brake light failed when I turned the key on and then the tach failed when I started it up. The battery light also stays faintly on but I've had the new alternator tested and it's sending good current. Everything seems to be making good contact but is there something I missed? Thanks guys!

Old 01-07-2007, 03:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: hello all...please help!

Well, it is remotely possible that the new alternator was a dud. Parts have warranties for a reason.

You should take your Rover to a shop that can do a battery and charging check. Sears usually does this for free hoping to sell you a new battery, but they've been honest enough to tell me on a couple of occasions that the battery was good, and the charging system was good, but I had a corroded connector, so they cleaned it and put some corrosion inhibiting concoction on it just so they could complete their test. Charge up your battery with a plug-in battery charger if you have one, then drive on over for a check-up.

Oh, I had a friend who had a loose alternator belt that prevented charging. The belt would stretch when it got warm, and when the alternator needed more force to generate more amps, the belt would simply slip on the pulley. Double-check your belt tension, which should be a 4-5 mm deflection according to my manual.

Good luck.

Scott