General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p38 OVERHEAT....NORMAL?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p38 OVERHEAT....NORMAL?!

Hi friends!!
New here!....and need to comment My problem (hope my english is not too bad...I´m from Canary Islands,Spain).
Recently have a RR p38 2.5 DSE.........I had the gear box new from ashcroft...goes well.......had a new radiator, new hoses,new water pump and new thermostat...new everything.....the engine goes perfect in sound,no smoke,no deposits in the oil engine cap, etc........
Filled the sistem with coolant water and gave if a drive(the needle normaly sits at 12 on mine....here is pretty hot normaly)......it goes hot.......just up to one oclock........to the white line...doesnt go to red and no red light goes on. When the car is parked with engine on......temperature is ok. When you drive in horizontal the temperature doesnt move...when you go down hill it goes a bit down.....but when you go uphill it goes up.....not to the red as I said. The normal ambient temperature here in canary islands goes from 25 to 40 ºC (77 F to 105 F I think the conversion is right!!)
¿Could it be air in the system?.......Could it be the head gasket?...Dont know what to think!?
Hope you can help!
Thanks!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your oil and spark plugs for coolant cylinders for extreme cleanliness. Could possibly be a slipped liner but, I doubt it.

It sounds like a guage problem, it is fairly common. Mine says it is running hot even though it is not. You might want to let it get hot or indicate it. Then shut the engine down completley, and then turn the key to the on position and see if the needle goes center. If it does, you have a grouding issue. This can also be confirmed with an OBD scanner or infrared temperature scanner Should stay between 170 F and 200 F, my stays at exactly 194 F, minus a few degrees. If it is actually overheating then you might want to try bleeding the system again as per rave instructions, air pockets will cause it to overheat.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 AM
6th Gear

Hi!
Mine is a diesel model.....2.5 bmw engine......so I cant really check the combustion chamber!!!
Any other ideas?
If I take it to land rover dealer will they be abble to tell me if it is the gauge.......by plugging the computer???
This weekend Ill drive it round see what I can figure out!
Any other ideas wellcome!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, try letting it get hot and then shutting the engine down, then put the key in the on position after that and if the needle goes back center, its a gauge problem. They won't be able to tell for sure through the OBD scanner. Even though mine you can tell, there are instances when the sensor on the car may be bad or there is another grounding issue. The surest way to tell is to have a local shop scan it with an infrared temp scanner on the hottest part of the engine. You do not need to have the stealership look at it.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 PM
6th Gear

Hi!!!
Today I didi what you said.......started the car,ran it....it got hot........when that happend I turn the engine off....then on...the neddle on the temp gauge went up to the same position.........te gauge must be right!?
What I find is that untill the temperature doesnt go up to about 1 oclock.....the viscous fan doesnt start to spin hard.....and sometimes you dont hear it much at all.......¿is the fan caput?
The temperature sensor must be right because it moves quite well up and down.....?
So....resume....it keeps overheating......but no watter in oil....oil in water...nothing!???
Cant figure out what can be.....but sure goes hot!!
Any ideas?
Thanks all!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say that the temperature increases when going uphill. If it is an arduous climb you will naturally be using more engine power and probably going slower as well which will of course mean that the air flow through the radiator is reduced leading to higher than normal temperature readings. The other possibilities are an air lock in the system which manifests itself as the air moves to a higher point in the system when going uphill or the viscous fan is not operating correctly. Diesel versions are the RR are not really my area of expertise but maybe this behaviour is normal with your model ? "Disco Mike" might be of more help since the diesel powerplant is a more common unit in the Discoveries. Shoot him a PM. He is very knowledgable and pleasant to communicate with.

Chris.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
6th Gear

You where wright Cris!!
Bolted the viscous fan and the temperature doesnt go up!!!!
Im so happy....my overheating problems have come to an end!! I´ve ordered the viscous unit to england....

It does go up as you say when you are going up hard ore if you go up and keep it in a gear that leaves revs under 1500.....but thyat is normal as you say because the airfloww is reduced and the water flow is as well reduced.

Thanks!
Regards!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Like I said, try letting it get hot and then shutting the engine down, then put the key in the on position after that and if the needle goes back center, its a gauge problem. They won't be able to tell for sure through the OBD scanner. Even though mine you can tell, there are instances when the sensor on the car may be bad or there is another grounding issue. The surest way to tell is to have a local shop scan it with an infrared temp scanner on the hottest part of the engine. You do not need to have the stealership look at it.
NEVER, EVER overheat your engine as part of a test, this is some of the worst suggestions ever posted on this site.

If your engine is running hot, if you don't know the proper way to check and fix it, take it straight to your mechanic, bet do that then toast an engine based on some poor suggestion.

If you are a little mechanical, make sure the coolant system has been bleed, make sure your mechanical fan hub is working properly and your electric fans come on while driving around town.