General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with ABS pump on 91 range rover

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with ABS pump on 91 range rover

i've run into a problem, and i cant get a straight answer out of a mechanic. recently i had a brake job done on my truck by a local mechanic who had no idea what he was doing. the day after my rover came out of the shop, the power brakes went out and the brake pump started making a nasty noise. when i drove the truck home and turned it off, the brake pump continued to make noise. i had to disconnect the battery to get the pump to stop making noise. the alternator was bad, so i went ahead and replaced it, but the noise still persists. i spoke with several mechanics and the only thing i really found out was that i would need to replace the brake pump and need to flush and rebleed the brake system. before i go about this, is there a way to check and see if it is infact the brake pump that's acting up? would it be the brake pressure? how can i check the pressure? the brake pump is ridiculously expensive, so avoiding this replacement would be great. anyone know of a way to go about this? i've got a shop manual for the rover, but before i swap the pump out, i would like to make sure its the pump.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: problem with ABS pump on 91 range rover

It is fairly easy to tell if the pump is making the noise just feel it with your hand. Secondly to be sure, disconnect the plug going to the pump to see if the noise stops. It is hard to understand why the pump would continue to run with the ignition off, unless the relay was faulty) points welded together). As for the Alternator, where did that fit in to the scenario?
________
Kawasaki EL250E

Last edited by bonnettoboot; 01-26-2011 at 11:03 AM.