General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover Battery Drain Over Night

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Rover Battery Drain Over Night

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Land Rover. I recently acquired a 2000 Range Rover 4.0 LSE.

The problem I'm currently having is battery drain over the course of the night. Since I'm new to Land Rover, I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of things I might look for that might cause this battery drain.

Edit: I installed a brand new battery yesterday. It's stilling going dead over night.

Also, when running and the lights are on, they seem bright and normal so I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the alternator. Or is it?

One more note: (I'll keep adding as I discover) I ran a test by removing the negative battery connection and placing a tester between the post and connector and the tester light stays on. I systematically removed each fuse in the fuse box while the light was on and none of the fuses pulled stopped the mysterious load.

Last edited by Denny Smith; 02-10-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well the first thing you will want to do is get a full charge in that new battery then take it to one of the chain store places and have your charging system check. unlike american cars LR's require at least 13.6 vt to charge. does your p-38 still have bags in it? if so it could be a compressor problem? you may want to unplug it.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

These things can be weird electrically. The EAS compressor might be an issue. You can unplug the timer under the drivers seat to disable the system. On the P38 I owned, I had the dome light switch fail so I replaced it with a pushbutton switch I had. It was a standard on/off switch. It worked great but the next morning my battery was dead. It was the switch even though the light was off. Turns out the switch should have been a momentary contact type. The computer used the pulse from the momentary switch to change the status of the light. By using the on/off type switch, I caused the computer to stay in an active state which killed the battery. This can also happen when the vehicle is in an area with lots of radio interference and waves like an airport. It makes the alarm system wake up the computer.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 AM
4th Gear

Thanks guys,

When I bought the vehicle, the owner told me he had some key issues. One of them being the remote alarm key. It appears he lost the original, replaced it but when the key was cut, it didn't work.

I took the key to my locksmith friend who made a few adjustments and got it working.

I read in another thread somewhere about the security systems also causing drain. One of the tutorials I found online was "how to reset your alarm on a Range Rover" and some of the drain put on the battery when the key wasn't properly programmed.

I followed the tutorial after getting the key working and instead of locking the car with the key in the door, I locked and set the alarm with the remote.

To my surprise, I woke up this morning went outside in the balmy -4 degree weather and it turned right over.

What a joke! I do believe I'm going to be getting a Battery Brain just in case this ever happens again.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Baja

where did you find "how to reset your alarm on a Range Rover" ?

Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 AM
4th Gear

I guess the word I should have used is sync. This video talks about the BeCM Demystifying the BeCM (whatever that is?) and this is where I had seen an actual video explaining the voltages when it comes to the alarm and syncing after the battery has been removed or disconnected. In my case, the battery had been replaced a week prior to the battery drain issues.

Video to Sync:

All I know is, I was manually locking the vehicle by inserting the key and turning it. When did this, the drain was continuous and the battery was dead before morning.

Once I got the Land Rover remote key adjusted by a locksmith so that it would actually work, I followed the procedure in this video and my battery quit draining within minutes, and quit fully draining over night.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Drifting

That is great news! I was about to provide some input that there are several fuse boxes in the vehicle...but you fixed it!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Baja

great clip would be a post it