General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a Range?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Range?

Well I'm new to the forums, just came here for some info.

Right now I drive a '97 BMW 528i, which I love. However, for several reasons, I'm considering a Range Rover. I could really use the 4wd in the winter months, and I also need a tow vehicle for some of my off road adventures (atvs). I don't want to sacrifice the ride comfort and luxury of the BMW, and although I'm not sure how the two compare, I know the Range is a much nicer suv than most. I might consider getting a second vehicle later, depending how the Land Rover works out, maybe something a little sportier and better on gas for those short trips.

Anyway for the time being, my main objective is information. I can't say I've heard great things about Land Rovers, but I'm not sure from where those opinions stem, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd just like to know how everybody likes theirs, and maybe what are some common problems to look out for and such. Also what should I expect to pay for a decent one. My price range is probably 10-15k USD. Oh, and I suppose I should mention I'm looking at P38a's. (I think thats the model name, if not I'm sure its close enough).

Thanks
- Rob

Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Should I buy a Range?

A 100% recommended purchase everytime.

If you are looking at P38 types, check for a good service history & that ALL electric items are fully functional
especiallythe air suspension! - no leaks from the air suspensionbags & that pump is in full working order.

make sure there are no nasty chassis dents from enthusiastic off-roading!

The 4.0 are more reliable than the 4.6, but if you get a well looked after 4.6, so much the better!

Good luck in your search - Range Rovers Rule!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Should I buy a Range?

I recommend AZRovers.com.

The owner Jack Blevins specializes in off-lease Rovers, Jags, Bimmers, etc. He will get you a great deal on a well maintained off lease Range Rover. Currently he's got the new body style '03's at $31k, but '02's for around your price range I'm sure he can get. I got my Disco for $10k less than a certified pre-owned while still under warranty.