General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look out for when buying 2nd hand ranges?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to look out for when buying 2nd hand ranges?

Im mechanically minded, but am a noob when it comes to cars. So when I say 'can we buy a range rover' to the missus and she says yes, im well happy..but its such a beast what sort of things are likely to be wrong with em?

Are there any design faults, weak spots, areas of interest that should be looked at? Quirks that are specific to models/ages?

Do you recommend automatics or manuals, or this command shift stuff?

I know these are all noob questions, but this is likely to be the best place to get an hones answer.

Thanks in advance.

(for info, its likely that I'll be looking post 1997, HSE models, with at least 100,000 kms on the clock)

Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend looking at late model P38s then (pre-2003) simply because the early MKIII (2003-2005ish) had quite a few problems. The Bosch motored Rovers are generally more reliable and would be what I would look for.

You should read up on and check the following before buying:
EAS(make sure the compressor works and you can rn it through the different positions; check the bags)
A/C (make sure there is no book symbol on the ATC and run the airflow through the different positions)
Make sure there aren't any check engine lights or any other illuminated dash lights
Check for fluid leaks
Drive it a bit and make sure there aren't any handling problems (ball joints, shocks, etc)
Make sure all the doors lock and unlock
Check for 2 remotes- they're quite expensive and a bit of a hassel to replace

Service records would be a major incentive as would an owner history (if a Rover is passed off a lot that's a pretty big indication).

Just keep in mind that Rovers are NOT as problem free as most cars. Chances are you will encounter little quirks . The good news is there is extensive documentation dealing with just about any problem you could encounter making troubleshooting relatively easy.

Regards

Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda want to get an MKIII or 06-MY in a few years or so biggest thing to look for on the MKIII is the differential, make sure the front one has been replaced otherwise it will go out soon. The P38, find one that was kept well, even if it has a few more miles on it than one that looks ratty. Mine is a 96, it was really taken care of which is the primary reason I bought it. Ive been around p38s for awhile as I have been looking at quite a few and its hard to find the right one, so start looking now. Most of the ones I have encountered were pretty beat up which is kinda sad to say the least. If you buy a p38, make sure you know a good & inexpensive mechanic to do the things you can't, or be prepared to do it yourself or pay an extremely large amount of money to have a stealership do it. I am a little partial to the GEMS engine because the mechanics I bring it to see the domestic engine in a foreign car, and they seem to know more about it. It is hard to find a good GEMS engine so I would get one with a BMW, you have a higher chance of getting a good one. Like ldivine said, make sure you can handle quirks and there always being something that needs to be worked on. Mine has numerous things that are leaking and need attention but often times they are still drivable. Anyways, good luck with your search, it should be fun.