General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to start???

I have been cosidering gettin a RRC, LWB, probably something in the '90/'91- '95 year range. I would probably be looking at something southern(less rust) with as low of miles as possible.

I have owned my Disco long enough that I know of many of the maintenence/repair issues generalized to LR's.
But I guess what i'm looking for, is there a better year than others of the RRC, and is there any common failures/repairs specific to RR that are not to LR's in general?

Thank you guys.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the RRCs have the same issues and there really is not "better" year other than maybe the 95s which featured the discovery interior. They all use the Gems engine management which is very similar to the Discovery. Your discovery will be no different than the classics, other than the wheel base and looks. Check anything on it that you would on your Discovery. It would be best if you found one well looked after as usual. If it were me, I would try and get an extremely well taken care of classic, or buy a P38.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL... I normally don't like to correct people but this one is WAY off. I'll only mention the NAS vehicles since that is mostly what you will find over here.

Your friend and mine...LUCAS EFI 13CU all the way to the final version, 14CUX during the years ranging from '89 - '95. If it was a land rover and was fuel injected BEFORE the 1996 MY then it was Lucas Hot Wire.

The only real difference between the 14CU and the 14CUX is the fault code display box under the pass seat on RRC's and Disco's.

The '96 and beyond Gems was merely a way for LR to conform with OBDII standards. Used virtually the same sensors (a few were added like Knock and IAT) but the MAF is different and the IAT was introduced with gems.

Also axles---pre mid '93 they were 10 spline like series... so mid '93 on they are 24 spline. And as for suspension the later models has the air springs (EAS) which you may want to replace with coils anyway. SRS - airbags were standard on '95 and up. AND the LWB was not available pre '93

Last edited by Cosmic88; 03-14-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: details
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the RRC and Disco's were very similar, but just figured I'd ask.

LRScott:
As far as the P38's, I have not seen any in person, up close anyways. do they have a single speed transfer box, or do they have a low range also? The ones I've looked at on e-bay, autotrader,etc does not show the interior well enough to see. If it does, how do you shift it? I didnt see any t-case levers.

Cosmic:
I see in the thread over on the Disco side about an ignition amplifier relocation. Now I wouldn't go with the $500+ kit, more like a D.I.Y.,but I'm assuming that would be almost a must modification? And I have heard bad things about the distributors, and seen aftermarket replacements claiming being better than oem. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would the amplifier relocation fix the weak link?

Thanks alot guys.I am still on the fence with going RR or an '04 disco. The newer tech, and hence higher cost of repair/maintenece/parts is what worries me about the '04. Plus, I absolutly love the looks of the RRC, esp lifted with tires.

Older ad, so I dont think its there anymore,but..
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2235572828.html

Now alot of the RRC's I've seen that are really clean and low-mileage are going for almost the cost of an '04 Disco($5k-$8k)

Last edited by kenk; 03-10-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
I thought the RRC and Disco's were very similar, but just figured I'd ask.

Cosmic:
I see in the thread over on the Disco side about an ignition amplifier relocation. Now I wouldn't go with the $500+ kit, more like a D.I.Y.,but I'm assuming that would be almost a must modification? And I have heard bad things about the distributors, and seen aftermarket replacements claiming being better than oem. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Or would the amplifier relocation fix the weak link?
Later RRC's, Defender and D1's all had Very similar drivetrain, engine and ECM's but body and interior are obviously another story. And that relocation kit is VERY pricey in relation to what you can do for yourself if you have the skills. Moving the ign. amp. away from the engine is key to longevity for sure. I have ZERO issues with the OEM dizzy... and naturally, if someone is selling aftermarket gear they are going to tout its superior performance and such. Personally, I prefer a distributor for "side of the road/ trail" repairability. If it gets wet I can clean it, dry it, spray it and be on my way.