General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

*NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!

i have a 99 range rover 4.0 with NO key-fob/remote, just the key. every once in awhile when i go to unlock the doors, just the driver door unlocks and the other doors remain locked, which causes the engine to disbale itself.

the problem is that sometimes it can take anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour for all the doors to finally unlock all together.

i've tried to find coincidences in situations each time this has happened. there are none.

i need immediate help.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!

It's a common failure. The drivers door latch is not sending the signal to the computer to prevent the theft mode from being entered, because it is not completing the operation of opening all the doors. So-- it appears the vehicle has been broken into, and it goes into a engine disable mode.

The fix is to replace the drivers door latch assy. By that -- I mean the Latch/Striker assy --- NOT the Door handle with the key hole in it.

regards,

Geoman

Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for responding.

i sat in my car for over an hour today waiting...and waiting. i called the land rover dealership and they told me about the latch. they also said it would cost $500to be replaced....does that sound about right?

ialso called someone i knew and he told me that first i should probably get my battery changed and see if that helps. after he said that, iturnedthe radio off and the acand came back to my car 30 minutes later and it unlocked.

do you think the battery idea would be a quick fix until ican afford to dish out $500 on the door latch?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find another repair source than the "Stealership"........like an independentshop that specializes on Land Rovers. The labor to remove and refit the door panel --and then latch-- should be no more than 1.5 hours (which translates to $200 with local labor rates). The part no more than $175.00

On the battery changeout-- that won't accomplish anything. The problem is in the worn-out contacts on the existing latch.

Geoman