General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this '03 Disco worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this '03 Disco worth buying?

Hello, all.

I'm not yet a Disco owner but fell in love with a low mileage'03 Discovery S at anearby dealership. If the price is right, I'm probably going to snap it up early next week. That being said, I'd like put my mind at ease with a few issues:

Problems:

I took it out for a test spin and noticed that the "m" and "s" were constantly flashing. I understand that this indicates a fault with the transmission. I've also readthat a low voltage condition could be the culprit.

Anyway, the truck required ajump startto get going (another price haggling point) so this might underscore the voltage situation. However, the mode switch is also kinda flimsy and I didn't notice any change on the dash when pressed (is it even supposed to?). Perhap's it's busted?

I ran a Car Fax report and it indicated collision damage to the right front side. It also listed several engine related gaskets and seals that were replaced early in the truck's life. The good news, if any, is that it was maintained by a LR dealership. Another plus is that I caught the dealer flatfooted after he said the Car Fax report would be clean. I called his bluff and was rewarded with another haggling point...

AsI mentioned above, it required a boost to get going. It's been sitting on the lot for several months now (it's on my way to and from work).I didn't notice any leaks underneath, though.

One last area of concern is that both sunroofs jerk, jerk, jerk to open, then slide smoothly. When closing, they glide then jerk, jerk, jerk until they are finally shut. Is this normal? If not, is there a cheap fix?

The plusses:

It's just shy of 50k on the clock.
No smoke at start up.
The engine is quiet and the transmission is silky smooth.
Fluids look normal and no leaks that I found.
Despite its heft, I was impressed with the "giddy-up" when I pressed the gas.
No other warning lights despite the two I mentioned and all lights and features seem to work (to this newb, anyway).
After being boosted, it started just fine after a 30 minute test ride.
Frequent and documented service at a LR dealership before finding it's way here last summer.
The paint and interior are pristine and it has new tires.
The price: angling for $11,500to his $13k. He'll get back to me on Monday....supposedly.

Thanks for any feedback and I look forward to being a contributing member to this forum in the future.

Cheers!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Is this '03 Disco worth buying?

There are too many good ones on the market, I would stay away from this one.