General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 Freelander "service engine soon" light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Freelander "service engine soon" light on

Please Help!Yesterday I bought a used Freelander from my local Land Rover dealership. It is an 03 Freelander SE3 w/ 63,000 miles on it. Tonight the "service engine soon" amber light came on. I have only driven it approx. 130 miles since yesterday when I got it. Of course it is not under warranty and now I am in panic mode! I have not put gas in it since I bought it, so I don't think it's the gas cap. How can I figure out what the code is - so that I can prepare myself for either a major or minor repair. I know in my Durango, I could just turn the key from the off position to the on position, 3 times in a row and the code would show up in the odometer area. Is it the same for my Landie? Everyone told me not to buy a Land Rover, But I absolutely LOVE it.....I don't want to be disappointed so soon! And do you think the dealer will at all be willing to check it out for FREE - considering I haven't even had it 48 hours?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: 03 Freelander "service engine soon" light on

Just call the dealer this morning and let him know what happened, don't worry about what we might say or suggest. The dealer should take care of it. If you really want to take care of yourself, first run down to a local auto parts store and get the codes read for free, then at least when you call the dealer you can sound a little more prepared cause you know what the code is.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 03 Freelander "service engine soon" light on

Thanks Mike! I am taking it to the Dealer this morning. They told me "not to worry about it and bring it right in". But, I am stillstarting to worry that heading to the dealership might be a regular thing with this freelander. I will cross my fingers and hope not! I just need it to last for 2 years, while I finish my degree!
Thanks Again & Kudos to you -