General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 RR - noisy center dash fan - low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 RR - noisy center dash fan - low speeds

This one is tricky. Would appreciate if anyone has experienced a similar condition and was able to resolve it.

About a month ago, I noticed a noise when the fan was on the lowest two speeds. Its since continued to where its audible at the first four speeds. Beyond that, its gone.

Today I noticed that on the fourth speed, the noise pitch increases significantly when turning the steering wheel to the right. When you return the wheel when completing the turn, the noise decreases.

The fan is working on all speeds - I'd just like to find the source of the noise - is this something that can be lubricated with graphite or something else? Is the fan easily accessed?
Thx
Bob

Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM
4wd Low

Not the exact same problem...but similar...My fan works on on settings but the higher it gets...the more violent the vibration. To the point where my wife LOVES the heat to be on the high setting..LOL. I located the blower under the dash and hoped that maybe mounting was loose but all is secure. Maybe bad blower? 03 Disco II

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

03 range rover has the aspirator fan making noise, blow it out with an air nozzel or computer cleaner,

the disco two has crap in the fan, take it out and pull out the dogfood, leaves, mouse nest or dead baby mouse in it. if it chewed threw the blade maybe it wont still make the noise but if it does then the motor is shot from the offbalance blade.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:15 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
03 range rover has the aspirator fan making noise, blow it out with an air nozzel or computer cleaner,

the disco two has crap in the fan, take it out and pull out the dogfood, leaves, mouse nest or dead baby mouse in it. if it chewed threw the blade maybe it wont still make the noise but if it does then the motor is shot from the offbalance blade.
How difficult is it to remove the blower to clean it out?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Blow out the little vent in hvac interface.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Drifting

03 disco,
The blower fan is located at your wife's feet... under the glove box. remove the 3 tree clips holding the black closure panel under the rh dash and then the one push on clip on the firewall side. remove the closure panel and you'll see the bottom of the blower motor. removed the 3 little bolts and connector to drop the fan assembley and clean out the dog food, dead mouse, Jimmy Hoffa, etc...

Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by tedly797
03 disco,
The blower fan is located at your wife's feet... under the glove box. remove the 3 tree clips holding the black closure panel under the rh dash and then the one push on clip on the firewall side. remove the closure panel and you'll see the bottom of the blower motor. removed the 3 little bolts and connector to drop the fan assembley and clean out the dog food, dead mouse, Jimmy Hoffa, etc...
You are the man, fine sir....While I did not find Jimmy Hoffa, I think I found his toupee!!! Check it out! Lord knows how long this junk was in there. No more vibration . But oddly enough, now I can't find any D size batteries...Think the wife is back to her old trick now that I finished off her "favorite seat" LOL

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails 03 RR - noisy center dash fan - low speeds-blower-motor.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Rovin4life

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice