General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Disco Intermittent Death

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 05:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco Intermittent Death

The 04 Disco is driving me nuts. I have an intermittent electrical fault, will keep her from starting (no spark, no tach, no joy) and/or she'll hiccup in mid-stride which ends up with getting all the idiot lights including the two flashing green gears. On about 4 occasions messing around with the aux air pipes and trying to play with the wires running down to the pos sensor and tranny have resulted in success. This coincidental cause and effect has me once again trying to find some bit of harness shorting out on some bit of heat shield or engine block or something. I've replaced the position sensor (what a bitch) and I've taken apart the XYZ switch instead of just getting a second mortgage to replace that - and all the contacts looked beautiful. No real sign of any excessive wear inside there. I know one of the standoffs down low on the engine rotted away that keep the wires suspended which again misleads me to think I know it's the harness. At this point I'm trying to pull that whole length so I can re-insulate it and look for chaffed insulation but I can't figure how what all keeps it from moving up above the tranny. If I pull out the plastic thing between the seats can I work from inside the rig to unplug and free those connectors? Oh, if by chance anybody's already solved this horrible problem let me know, I can't take it anywhere, can't sell it. She runs great when she does. I have one of those Bearmach code readers, the codes are consistent with this leg of harness having problems and/or position sensor and are always "unbelievable", or "inconsistent with reality" or some weird language.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:44 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

Try posting this in the Disco 2 section of this forum. You’ll get more views there.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:42 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Check and clean all your grounds.