General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'04 Discovery Still misfiring on 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Discovery Still misfiring on 2

Hey Disco Mike
I am not sure if my old "post" is still working so I am just placing a reference in this post to my last one, I started it in June, so it might have "timed out" so to speak.
The post name is
'04 Discovery Running Rough, Using Gas Big Time

After having a random misfire, I changed the wires, the coil packs, the plugs and still I am experienceing misfire on 2.
Could it be an injector (clogged or dying?)

Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
4wd Low
Default RE: '04 Discovery Still misfiring on 2

anybody?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

it could be a lot of things man. going to need more info here, i know you replaced your ign system, but are the wires arcing? are you still having this problem, or was it fixed and came back? your earlier posts were misses on 1 and 6, which would generaly be a coil, how do you know its on 2 now?... when you did the coil packs, did you pull the upper intake off? not terribly hard to pinch a injector wire in there, or even something else causing a lean condition on a cyl or two... im assuming a p0302, but do you have any other codes?... if you want help you need to give info, and not be a ***** about it, luckily for you, your problem is now gone thanks to wolfpack

Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
4wd Low

thanks roverguy, I honestly didnt mean to come off that way. I honestly have never been a part of a forum before, I thought I was waiting on a reply from a forum that had died . . . didn't really know how it worked and, still dont really, dont understand how "threads/forums are bolded out or not bolded out, none of mine were bolded, so I made a brand new one, my third, and voila it was bolded out and I got a response. Ijust thought wolpacks comment was . . . well, less than helpful to a new member (forum virgin!) - I am from downunder so sarcasm comes pretty easily. Apologies wolfpack.
Back to the problem.
Yes I took the upper intake off, twice in the end, as the coil packs I got were denso, I was adviced by a Denso rep to wire them according to the Denso numbering which is diff to the Bosche versions, he was wrong.
So new plug wires yet again, I did notice bringing the new plug wires around the intake "corner" that it is hard to keep them "away" from the intake plenum, they do feel a tad bit short, I guess that could be a problem.
I read a release from Land Rover a while back that said they no longer recommend clipping the wires to the rocker covers and the place I got my wires from said the wires may appear shorter but that is in response to the Land Rover bulletin.
The wires are STI brand and model # HLS 103.
Would that arc be visible say at night if I lifted the hood and checked?
Got the codes read after all I did and still experienceing a hesitation, got the P0302 code. The guy at Autozone was in a hurry so I did not get a printout this time. I will go back and get the full monty this time and come back to you.

I really appreciate this help roverguy . . . . you have no idea

Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM
4wd Low

just read your reply again roverguy . . .
what may cause a leanness?
I rolled my hand over the fuel rail valve and it rolled open at one point, would it now need bleeding? And how would that be done?
Sorry bout all the questions.
and again thanks
glenn

Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

im very iffy on this different wireing of the coils... however, anyproblem would cause a mis on 2 cyls, not just the one... if it really is just the one, two things you need to check.... wires for arcing, and fuel to #2 cyl... as to the wires, take some water, or 409 or something like that, youll hear it clicking and be able to see it. to check to see if youre getting fuel, let it run for a minute when misfiring, turn it off then pull the number 2 plug(front drivers side), see if its wet and smells like gas, if so, you got fuel. one more thing... does the check engine light flash, or do you just get the code