General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Freelander Trunk and Rear Window Issue - Very Curious!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Freelander Trunk and Rear Window Issue - Very Curious!!

I have a 2004 Freelander HSE that has been having a world of problems regarding the rear window solenoid process. Long story short:

The rear window stopped working so I reset the battery cable in order to recalibrate the window. It made the beeping sound when I reconnected the cable and tried to roll it down (it didn't roll down automatically either like it was supposed to) so the calibration did not work.

Because the window has to roll down about 1" before the trunk door opens (solenoid process?) I could not get into the trunk or the door to remove the window. Eventually, I muscled the door open and the window slipped out of the groove, but it is still stuck rolled up.

I thought it would be a window motor/regulator problem so I unattached the window (extremely hard since it was stuck rolled up) and removed the two brackets, motor, and regulator from the door panel. I left them connected and tried to recalibrate the rear window without the parts being attached.. and it worked! I figured something had just gotten stuck so I placed the components back in the car, but did not reattach the rear window yet. I checked the window motor and regulator and it rolled all the way down and all the way up.

Finally, thinking I was in the clear I reattached the window and rolled it up. I shut and opened the door and tested the window.. everything was working. It lasted about 3 minutes before I shut the trunk door and it wouldn't open again!!

I have checked all the fuses and none are blown.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I was thinking one of two things:
1. The motor is very weak and unable to lift the window.. but this seems unlikely since it does not budge at all.
2. There is some time of mechanical issue in which the motor is not getting the signal. Could there be a problem with some type of relay?

Any advice, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mpompliano; 07-22-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: added fuse information
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

No relay, the CCU handles that. But the CCU won't operate the motor if the rear wiper is not in the park position supplying a ground. May look parked, but you'll have to check wiring to be sure.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any instructions/advice on how to do that? Not to sound stupid or anything, but by parked do you just mean all the way down?