General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Discovery Help Cranking Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1996 Discovery Help Cranking Up

Suddenly my Landrover Discovery started stalling upon cranking, sometimes it will eventually crank after a few tries, sometimes it simply will not. I have found that if I twist the gas cap completely off (hearing the release of air pressure) then try to crank it up, it almost always cranks immediately. However if it has not been sitting a while in between crank ups and I do not hear a release of air pressure from the gas cap it simply will not crank. It consistently will not crank once I have put gas in until it sits for about 20 minutes and I remove the gas cap again hearing the release of air pressure.

There is nobody in my area that will explore per say saying they don't know how to work on them. No Land Rover dealership nearby (and I would be willing to take and pay whatever to have it fixed even there). I do have a mechanic that will work on it for specific problems, but again not willing to go out on a limb and explore the problem without knowing which direction to go.

Any thoughts, or suggestions is very much appreciated. I love my LR and really want to get this quirk fixed so that I can begin to customize it and turn it in to a really nice Land Rover!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

we're going to need a little more info to help you......it sounds like you may have a problem with the fuel pump ( or fuel filter ) . to get started , you need to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail....thats between the rh valve cover and intake manifold...it looks like a tire air valve.....after you have turned the ignition key to the second "on "position , turn the key off and then push in on the valve ...fuel should squirt out of the valve, not just dribble but this will ultimatetely need to be checked with a fuel pressure gauge. If there is no fuel there at all, then you likely have trouble with the pump. let us know how it goes

Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you so much for your time in replying and trying to help me. I should have mentioned that often I do push the valve at the fuel rail and initially it squirts out nothing but air for a second or two then straight gas, then after sitting a few minutes it will crank right up. I read on another Land Rover post in regards to this issue to have the purge control valve checked out?? THANKS!

*Read your specifics on your DI, sounds like a nice ride!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

these vehicles do seem to need a new fuel pump at some time or another....here's the next step...turn your ignition key to the second on position and the back off 3 times and THEN attempt to start it ...(at the second on position the fuel pump is energized) doing this should "prime" the system ......IF the pump IS running, and IF it has enough strength to pump at all...the truck should start.. You should get( or borrow) a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure at the fuel rail fitting...it should be in the 32-36 psi range. below 30 the pump is probably bad or the fuel filter is clogged , let us know

Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For future reference, when you say the engine 'cranked right up', most mechanics will assume you mean the starter engaged the flywheel and the engine 'turns over', that is called cranking the engine. When the engine starts and stays running, that is generally not referred to as 'crank right up'.

This comes from when there were hand cranks on the front of the engine to 'crank it over' until it started.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, very confusing.
"My truck wont start, I crank it over but it will not fire"
"If I release air pressure from the gas tank it will fire right up (or start)"

You have 2 potential problems, your gas tank is not venting properly and the air escaping sound you hear is actually air being sucked in.
Or you need a fuel pump.
I am betting on the first one because there was a recall on it, the fuel pump pumps the fuel out of the tank and as it does so the space must be filled with air, if not the gas tank becomes a vacuum chamber, eventually if you kept driving the engine would stall out on you.
Open the gas cap, let air back in, and it will start back up.
Write down your VIN# and call any Land Rover dealer and ask them to look up the fuel tank TSB and see if there are any open recalls or TSB's for your truck.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Mudding

If I remember correctly, the service action SB 173 was for leaking tanks. A simple fuel pressure test will remove any doubt. Fuel pumps for D1s are not cheap, so you need to be sure. Good luck with your Rover.