General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Discovery II Electrical problems! HELP! Headlights!! BCU?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011 | 05:35 PM
TReK

any rover with age usually gets corrosion on the connector and they intermittenly work or are dim. just go to the auto store and get new pigtails and bulbs and install them and watch them light up brightly again.

Old 10-11-2012 | 07:47 AM
Overlanding

Hello, I am new to this forum, I have a 2000 Disco II with 129K miles on it. I would like to know why the service engine light, compass, as well as the interior rear ceiling light came on and the key entry/lock wouldnt work yesterday, (ABS TCL and HDL have been on since February). Is this electrical, fuse, computer. Also went to get my oil changed at Jiffy lube and was told the Front & Rear Differential was leaking, when I read the paper closely it said level FULL. HELP I am in Maryland if anyone in Rover world knows a great mechanic that wont screw me over. ~RedRover928

Old 10-11-2012 | 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

You have lots of small problems (I hope). The lube shop may have been right, Rovers are built to leak so that lower body corrosion is reduced in winter areas with salt and along beachfront property at the coast, where the trucks are used to haul bikini clad gals to adventures.

It is a common thing to drain and re-fill the differntials and the transfer case. Some use a thicker oil, like 85W140, to slow leaks and reduce noise. Pretty easy DIY. Part of normal maintenance.

As for why these lights are on, and you have been waiting since February for the bulbs to burn out or to save enough to visit the dealer; well - you need to have codes read. A shop will charge $90 or more for this sometimes, and you can buy your own reader (like an Ultra Gauge for $70) , or rent/borrow one at parts stores, or have the parts store read it for you. Important point - write down the code numbers and post back here. What the reader translates the codes to mean may be different in the world of Roverspeak. Some parts stores are blocked from resetting codes.

The ABS/TC/HD three Amigos are not related to the most recent batch of problems, and have their own set of problems to cure, search for three Amigos. They won't read or clear with a basic scanner.