General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Disco 2 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Disco 2 won't start

Hi all, I have a Disco 2, V8 petrol, 2001 model that occasionally won't start, particularly when the engine is warm. Starts perfectly when the engine is cold though. I've already replaced the fuel pump, but the issue persists. This began happening after getting stuck in the sand in November 2011. The car began hesitating when accelerating away at traffic lights and intersections and seemed to be more frequent when the fuel tank is full. I've read a few posts about a possible fault CPS, but would like to hear some advice before replacing it. Also, bear in mind I'm not very mechanically minded and don't have a lot of tools in the garage and I'm about 80km's from the nearest Land Rover dealer or qualified mechanic.

Additionally, the cruise control packed it in a few months ago. The cruise button lights up when pressed, but the cruise will not engage when the car is on the freeway.

I have consulted the RAVE manual and tried the suggestion of depressing the schraeder valve, but have not seen any fuel come out whilst doing that. I have not been able to check the spark as I've been unable to budge the spark plugs from their hole.

Thanking you all in advance!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:45 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if it happens while hot then pour cold water on the sensor. if it restarts then its the sensor. simple and easy.

but install the thing when its cold or else burn.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

x2 on the back crank sensor.

As for the cruise not working, 90% of the time it is a vacuum leak.
Start at the brake light switch on the back of the brake pedal, follow the vacuum line into the engine bay checking for cracks or broken vacuum line.
Check all the cruise vacuum line that you can see.
Replace with same sized line from local autoparts store.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How many miles on your D2? I would say it is the Crank Position Sensor. I had mine go out a year or two ago, with same symptoms. It will probably just not start one day when it is cold eventually. But just my 2 cents and experience. The CKPS is relatively easy to change if you can find it on the back of the engine on the passenger side (NAS Left Hand Drive) just forward of the firewall and to the right side of the drive shaft. RAVE reviews the process, but getting to it and getting fingers and a socket with extension up to it can be a bit of a bear.

In regard to your cruise control, depending on the miles, it may just be a vacuum line and not be that complex or expensive to get going. The PO had the same problem on mine with the CC and from the receipts that came with my '01 D2, I can see where some vacuum lines had a leak and were replaced to get it going.

FYI, put your model and mileage in your signature line to help people know a little more about your rover, and put your location in your profile, that will help as well. Both can be updated under UserCP on the top menu line of the forum.

BTW, with the RAVE notes and the part, if you do not have success getting the sensor out, most any competent mechanic can do it, this is not one of those LR specific/unique items.

WELCOME aboard!

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-07-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for all the info guys, will start her today and test the cold water theory.. have updated my signature with info on the car for y'all.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If it turns out to be the crank position sensor, make careful drawings of bolt and spacer locations. Many DIY owners can't get it crank at all with new sensor, because spacer was but back with wrong orientation.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You can also go to Lucky 8, I believe Justin has a video on how to replace the Crank sensor.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Two 7mm bolt heads on the CKPS cover, then two 8mm nuts with spacers under each nut and then the actual sensor mounting points. As noted, when reassembling the CKPS sensor goes on first, then spacers, then 8mm nuts. Justin makes is look easier than I think it really is, but hey that is the magic of video! He does tell you he cheated a bit.

D2 CPS install - YouTube

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 01-07-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Overlanding
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
if it happens while hot then pour cold water on the sensor. if it restarts then its the sensor. simple and easy.

but install the thing when its cold or else burn.
Just an update.. looks like it is the CPS for the starting issue. I'll price one up here in Aus and let you know.

As to the cruise control, still a mystery. Checked all the vaccum lines, no evidence of a leak, but is there another way to test it whilst the vehicle is running?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The cruise vacuum pump could be bad.
I do not know how to test it.

Quick Reply: 2001 Disco 2 won't start