General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Disco II Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

One other Tip, when you are running the truck up to temp DON'T rev the engine...just let it idle.
You will get the air to bleed out in half the time by not causing cavitation IF you rev the engine.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2000 Disco 2 is doing the same thing!

Hello all, I own a 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2. Mine appears to be doing the same thing as the one in this tread. I've changed the thermostat and radiator. I know the water pump works. Upon filling the coolant reservoir I see a lots of bubbles come up from the bottom of the reservoir. I started using water because it overheated so many times that I would have to buy antifreeze every time. So until I find out what the problem is I use water.. after adding the water and allowing it to idle it did overheat and Idol . At the end of loud the water to continually run into the reservoir while the vehicle was running at which time the car did not overheat. The next morning I feel Reservoir game with water and begin to drive it to the mechanic at witch time the car did not overheat until I hit a bump in the road. Previously before changing the radiator and thermostat because I did not overheat until after I hit a bump in the road way. That is the common denominator hitting some type of bump in a roadway seem to cause the car to overheat. Any suggestions any ideas? Also my initial thought is thinking that it is the head gasket. I held my hand behind the exhaust pipe at which time the air from the exhaust pipe was moist and it felt sticky and somewhat oily like antifreeze could be in the exhaust fumes. I did not attempt to smell it so I'm not sure if it was actually antifreeze or not. BTW, the mechanic did said that he did bleed the system so I'm really confused as to what the problem could be.

Last edited by Yelrut; 04-13-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 09-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have now replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator, fan clutch, and the head gaskets. Cranked it up today and it sounded better and ran stronger than it ever has, but as soon as I put it in gear and drove it it overheated. I’m thinking cracked head which I should have had checked........., but I didn’t.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Bled it and found a leak in the plastic line from the reservoir to the radiator. Running great, drove for a while this morning with no problems.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:54 PM
Overlanding
Default Yahoo!

Originally Posted by DivebombInc
Bled it and found a leak in the plastic line from the reservoir to the radiator. Running great, drove for a while this morning with no problems.
Well CONGRATULATIONS , I'm happy for you and rejoicing with you. Do you think that could've been the problem or a mixture of the other repairs you did?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Mudding

Well I hope all the parts I replaced were partly to blame. If not I wasted a lot of money and time. I feel better thinking there was a little wrong with everything.

Originally Posted by Yelrut
Well CONGRATULATIONS , I'm happy for you and rejoicing with you. Do you think that could've been the problem or a mixture of the other repairs you did?

Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 03 would idle just fine... never overheat... leave it in the driveway for an hour idling with no issues. As soon as some strain was put on the motor, ya know, like driving it down the street, the temp needle would redline and the engine would spit water from the weakest link. First it was the old hoses, then it was the bottle, then it was the radiator, then it was the head gasket, of which I replaced all. Still at idle, it would run cool for over an hour, but as soon as any stress was put on the motor it would instantly overheat. I spent 3 months trying every trick in the book to get it to stop but nothing worked. I pulled the motor apart again and found the #6 cylinder was getting steam cleaned from a crack in the block at the 10 o'clock position as looking at it from the front.
I just purchased a replacement motor.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DivebombInc
My '01 Disco II heated up the other day and popped one of the hoses off. Started with the thermostat, still got hot. Ordered a Water pump from Atlantic British and swapped that out today. Still doing the same thing.
What's next in the engine cooling list of things to check?
Had same issue...went to auto parts store and borrowed tester for blown head gasket! Bingo, that was the answer! Cheap diagnostic!