General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 to 97 Engine Swap - Wont Run

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 to 97 Engine Swap - Wont Run

Hi all,

My 94 Manual Disco dropped a piston and scored the bore so i picked up a rolled 97Auto, stuck this engine in. I had it going at some point but blew a lot of mainly black smoke.

Did a compression test on all cyl and found them all ok, however the plugs were all dripping wet with fuel, which explains the black smoke.

I have taken it to a mechanic and a auto electrition costing me 500 and no 1 can seem to fix it.

I cant find Int fuel switch and i didnt see or can find a crank censor so i dont think it has them.

I have tried both ecu & there is enough spark to ignite fuel on the plug.

I did have the dizzy out at some point but i am sure it is set on the correct stroke.

Any help much appriciated.

Cheers,
Jay

Old 09-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Suggest you look in the RAVE for the 97 model, workshop manual, section 19; which details the various sensors and their part of the fuel supply system. My 97 has an inertia switch, so your engine wiring may be expecting it to be there, however, it disables the fuel pump. Sounds like you had fuel at one point, and very, very rich. Could also be involved with the coolant temp sensor (two wire, not the one wire gauge unit). Your live data reading scanner should tell you what temp the ECU thinks the engine is. If coolant temp sensor is disabled, ECU with think it is -40 degrees outside and increase fuel delivery.

A live data reading scanner would be good about now. But while the 97 is built for it, I am not sure if the 94 wiring harness supports that, or if you have to use a different scanner.

Also suggest you look at the RAVE electrical troubleshooting guide for the 97 year, section A1, for wiring and device diagrams, may explain which sensors are not there. You should have a fuel temp sensor as well.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

94 has a distributor but a 97 does not. Its possible distributor and timing is off causing all the issues. Without decent spark I suspect the distributor is screwed up and mistimed.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming that since the two engines aren't the same you put all the 94 stuff on the 97 block

Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I'm assuming that since the two engines aren't the same you put all the 94 stuff on the 97 block
Without doing this it wont run.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

"My 94 Manual Disco dropped a piston and scored the bore so i picked up a rolled 97Auto, stuck this engine in."

No where near enough information to begin sussing this one out.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Overlanding

Hi, Tnx 4 the reply,

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Suggest you look in the RAVE for the 97 model, workshop manual, section 19; which details the various sensors and their part of the fuel supply system.

Gone over this & played for weeks swapping and testing, relays, ecu, wiring, resistors, all the censors.

My 97 has an inertia switch, so your engine wiring may be expecting it to be there, however, it disables the fuel pump. Sounds like you had fuel at one point, and very, very rich. Could also be involved with the coolant temp sensor (two wire, not the one wire gauge unit).

Your live data reading scanner should tell you what temp the ECU thinks the engine is. If coolant temp sensor is disabled, ECU with think it is -40 degrees outside and increase fuel delivery.

Ok, thanks, i have the single disconnected, i will check this over again. I did have it running at some stage and it did warm up to running temp, but i guess thiis would not change and ecu readings if its not connected

A live data reading scanner would be good about now. But while the 97 is built for it, I am not sure if the 94 wiring harness supports that, or if you have to use a different scanner.

Yes, the 97 is plug and play by the looks of it, nothing seems to exsist in the 94, lol ..

Also suggest you look at the RAVE electrical troubleshooting guide for the 97 year, section A1, for wiring and device diagrams, may explain which sensors are not there. You should have a fuel temp sensor as well.
Yep, gone over this 1

Tnx,

Last edited by DiscoVan; 09-13-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
94 has a distributor but a 97 does not. Its possible distributor and timing is off causing all the issues. Without decent spark I suspect the distributor is screwed up and mistimed.
This 97 had a dizzy, i swapped them, timmng is good, double checked and double checked.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by tweakrover
Besides the different locations of the modular ( 94 on the coil & 97 on dizzy ), hmm, or the other way, hehee... the rest is the same,, hhmmm,, aaaaaa no crank censor etc right

Last edited by DiscoVan; 09-13-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoVan

Besides the different locations of the modular ( 94 on the coil & 97 on dizzy ), hmm, or the other way, hehee... the rest is the same,, hhmmm,, aaaaaa no crank censor etc right

I don't know if you are in the US or not but I can tell you that no North American Spec DI past 1995 came equipped with a distributor.

All 1994 and 1995 Discovery's used the OBDI 14CUX EFI System. The engine was a 3.9L with a distributor.

All 1996 through 1999 Discovery's used the OBDII GEMS EFI System. The engine was a 4.0L with coil packs.

ALL GEMS systems used crank sensors. How, when you removed the flex plate on the 4.0L automatic engine to install the fly wheel from the manual did you not see the crank sensor?

Quick Reply: 94 to 97 Engine Swap - Wont Run