General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 to 97 Engine Swap - Wont Run

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:46 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoVan
This 97 had a dizzy, i swapped them, timmng is good, double checked and double checked.
So, based on what you're saying, the previous owner must have installed a distributor.

I can't even imagine how someone could have reverted to a distributor in a '97 DI. It would have required massive work ranging from gutting the GEMS wiring to installing a cam to drive the distributor. Are you certain about the year of the donor engine?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

"Suggest you look in the RAVE for the 97 model, workshop manual, section 19; which details the various sensors and their part of the fuel supply system.

Gone over this & played for weeks swapping and testing, relays, ecu, wiring, resistors, all the censors."

This is where I really get confused.

Did the ECU's from the two trucks look the same? How about the MAF, TPS, IACV, ect?
They should all be very different and reading the RAVE for weeks would have shown that.

"Yes, the 97 is plug and play by the looks of it, nothing seems to exsist in the 94, lol .."

So it is clear that the '97 donor was (at least at one time) OBDII unlike your OBDI truck. BTW, you do have a plug in the 14CUX system for collection realtime data it just isn't like the OBDII port.

This gets me back to my confusion about what you have currently in your truck and what you took from the '97 (never mind the absurdity that a '97 OBDII truck was running a distributor). To get to the bottom of what's going on with your truck it will take a lot more than one liners.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul,

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
I don't know if you are in the US or not but I can tell you that no North American Spec DI past 1995 came equipped with a distributor.

Im in Australia/W.A

All 1994 and 1995 Discovery's used the OBDI 14CUX EFI System. The engine was a 3.9L with a distributor.

All 1996 through 1999 Discovery's used the OBDII GEMS EFI System. The engine was a 4.0L with coil packs.

Complience plate says 97, airflow meter date says 97, both ecu`s say 14CUX, both defently had a dizzy and has 3.9 on the plenum.

ALL GEMS systems used crank sensors. How, when you removed the flex plate on the 4.0L automatic engine to install the fly wheel from the manual did you not see the crank sensor?
I didnt see/recall the crank censor or find any wires, i have been trying to find pictures of its exact location but im not having any luck, if it does have 1 is it visable externally?

With the Fuel pressure regulator the hose of it ( presumming its for vacum ) goes to the inlet manifold or plenum right?

I changed temp censor (2 wired), no change.

Another thing is that i could not find o2 censor anywhere.

Do uno what the volt reads should be from the temp and the the engine fuel censor?

Tnx,
Jason

Last edited by DiscoVan; 09-13-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks like you will be done by Christmas. One thought would be that if your ECM and harness have places for sensors you don't have, if you can check the RAVE for their test value (like 175 - 18 ohms) you could subsitute a fixed resistor of a value with in the range to "fool" the ECM so it would think it had a complete truck to work with. And I hope with all this fun you are having the new engine and electronics don't decide they are in immobilzation mode for some reason.

Do you have 30 - 34 psi on the fuel rail schrader valve when the pump is running?