General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 Disco with brakes broke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Disco brakes broke & throttle choked?

I've got a '96 Disco that is experiencing some sort of a brake problem.

Vehicle starts and drives fine for a while (2 miles), then the brakes lock-up. Vehicle immediately slows to a crawl and drives like the brakes are completely locked. When this happens, stepping on the accelerator does not make the RPMs increase. Weird.

The next time the vehicle is driven, it behaves normally (for a while), then the brakes lock-up again and same RPM issue.

The last time this happened (today), my wife slowly drove it home (barely) with the brakes practically smoking when she pulled into the driveway. Nice.

Is this a known issue? What might be causing the brakes/accelleration to lock-up? My 'Rover dealership mechanics are all escapees from Gestapo training camps, so I hope to avoid taking the vehicle to them. My non-'Rover mechanics typically shake their heads and say that only the dealership can deal with Land Rover problems.

I need help!

Last edited by Rick9Plus; 03-09-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 03-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you have the master cylinder replaced recently?
This happens every time a non-Land Rover master cylinder is installed.
If it is the original then it is bad and needs to be replaced, with a Land Rover one NOT a aftermarket brand.
You can increase engine RPM when the brakes are locked up because the engine cant increase RPM if it cant overcome the load imposed on it.
You are going to also have the brake fluid completely flushed because you kept driving it with the brakes locked up which boiled your brake fluid, probably ruined your brake calipers and melted the grease in the wheel hubs so your wheel bearings need to be repacked too.
You will also need brake pads, because you wore yours out driving with the brakes locked up.
You are lucky you did not start the truck on fire.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, Spike555. Fortunately, my rotors were not glowing, just hot.

So a follow-up question... what specifically is it about aftermarket master cylinders that is so detrimental? They fit. They work initially. But for some reason they fail? I don't understand what is it that makes Land Rover OEM master cylinders function correctly, but aftermarket ones fail. Master cylinders don't seem to be that complex or different from one another...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I wish I knew, but this happens each and every time some one uses a non-Land Rover master cylinder on these trucks, search the forum, each and every time.
I would prefer aftermarket to OEM because of price, but when its found out what works and what does not work, stick with what works.