General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Disco no power to fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Disco no power to fuel pump??

Ok I will try to make this to the point.

1.) Picked up a 95 disco for cheap. Problem is no power to the fuel pump, I did check while someone else turned the key on. So there is definitely no power.

Inertia switch has no power going to it. Purple and white wire on relay has power and fuse is good.

I have has a Disco II for years so I figured immobolizer anti theft thing but the disco I obviously doesn't have one.

Any ideas? I am trying to find a wiring diagram and I am stumped at the moment.

2.) Truck has fire and compression and while spinning the motor over while jacking with fuel pump it has started for a couple of seconds ran then died.

The strange thing is I put power to the fuel pump and I can't get it to start. I didn't have my fuel pressure gauge but when I checked at the fuel rail it seemed to have more then adequate fuel there.

The l.e.d. under the pass seat is there but I don't see any lights is there a trick or a way to put it in diagnostic mode?

Sorry for all the questions and I have searched. I didn't realize how different the I was from the II.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Todd

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is it a 3.9 or a 4.0? if it is a 3.9 look at the rotor if it has a yellow dot is a lucas and it may not be the problem. if no dot replace it. Had a few rotors cause weird issues with little resistance in them.

4.0 could be many things, cam circuit or a few other things?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
is it a 3.9 or a 4.0? if it is a 3.9 look at the rotor if it has a yellow dot is a lucas and it may not be the problem. if no dot replace it. Had a few rotors cause weird issues with little resistance in them.

4.0 could be many things, cam circuit or a few other things?

Sorry I should have said its the 3.9.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 AM
8th Gear

Anyone?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm confused, you have power to the pump, or you don't have power to the pump?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Overlanding
Wink Hey Man

I have a 1996 4.0 Disco and was having the same problem..it is honestly a mystery, it has happend to me a few times since i bought the truck. The trick is time. I let mine sit for a few days and it started right up...another time It was the multifunction relay, which I pulled and let sit inside overnight, and that fixed the problem.

As of right now, my Disco is sitting in my driveway, immobile, it died the other day and for the FIRST time, its NOT the fuel pump...sooo i might have a bigger issue on my hands...anyway, play around with that little multifunction relay on the passenger side under the hood...open it up and play with the switches to see if they are switching on/off when the engine is on.

Call me if you have any other questions, ive dealt with this problems on 3 different occasions now: (631) 965-8776

GOODLUCK! WHen i fix it this time...im selling it.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by antichrist
I'm confused, you have power to the pump, or you don't have power to the pump?
No power to pump.

I ran power directly to the pump to try to start it and then I couldn't get it to run.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by brian891
I have a 1996 4.0 Disco and was having the same problem..it is honestly a mystery, it has happend to me a few times since i bought the truck. The trick is time. I let mine sit for a few days and it started right up...another time It was the multifunction relay, which I pulled and let sit inside overnight, and that fixed the problem.

As of right now, my Disco is sitting in my driveway, immobile, it died the other day and for the FIRST time, its NOT the fuel pump...sooo i might have a bigger issue on my hands...anyway, play around with that little multifunction relay on the passenger side under the hood...open it up and play with the switches to see if they are switching on/off when the engine is on.

Call me if you have any other questions, ive dealt with this problems on 3 different occasions now: (631) 965-8776

GOODLUCK! WHen i fix it this time...im selling it.
I don't think my 95 has any relays under the hood. I will look for the multi function relay. I got the rave manual from roverresource.com I believe but it didn't have wiring diagrams. It said to see some electrical manual that I couldn't find on there.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it and may be calling you.