General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 LR Disco I Engine gets warm then runs horrible under load.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LR Disco I Engine gets warm then runs horrible under load.

I run a small salvage yard in the area and came across this 95 Land Rover Discovery... Under most conditions, I'd just crush it, but something told me not too......

Anyways, I replaced the faulty starter,did a basic tune up (plugs, coil, air cleaner...) and the thing runs great... for the first 15minutes....

After driving it for a few minutes (15+) the engine starts bogging down (zero acceleration) with anything more than a little pedal pressure. After it cut out inthe middle of an intersection and I waited a few minutes, it would start back up, but again, run horribly. After about 5 sessions of driving untill it would cut out/wiating, I got it home. When i looked under the truck i saw the driverside CAT glowing bright red..... I thought for sure it was a clogged CAT at that point. SO after cutting the CAT off, and replaceing it with a piece of pipe, i tried again....

Anyways, the reason I'm on this forum, is because I need some help and knowledge of LR issues. REmoveing the CAT did not help at all and it still boges out after driving for 10-15minutes straight. What should i be looking for?

Thanks again LR Techs!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 95 LR Disco I Engine gets warm then runs horrible under load.

Hi,
I had a similar problem with my '97 Disco V8i.
I suggest you review the following website: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stage1v...icalSpider.htm
It's one of those problems which is not particularly well known but which seems to afflict Disco's of this vintage. It's no doubt all to do with age!
I had my spider changed & have not had a hint of the problem since.
Hope this solves your problem too!
N.