General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

accidentally immobilized my engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default accidentally immobilized my engine...

now what?
i accidentally pulled an alarm fuse. put it back.
now the 1996 disco has a 5 second or so delay from turning the key to actually turning over the engine, and it won't start.
i don't have a key fob for the car, just a key.
any ways to reset this?
or better yet, completely get rid of this stupid alarm/immobilizer?
thanks
jon

Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Rock Crawling

nobody??? my disco is useless until i figure this out. any help is appreciated.
jon

Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

GREAT NEWS!!!
called a local british auto shop. the technician told me to try disconnecting the battery completely and touching the positive and negative cables together. said it was an old ECU reset method. well, IT WORKED!!! rover started right up.
just wanted to share the fix with anyone that may accidentally pull the immobilizer fuse.
jon

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Future suggestions/Troubleshooting

Jon -
Sorry for the delayed response, I found some interesting information on your issue from this site:

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...ecm/alarm.html

Here is what they suggested for your issue:

Generic EKA Procedure on NAS Range Rovers
The EKA feature does not seem to be enabled on US vehicles, or some Australian ones, and is not mentioned in their owners' handbooks (but see "rest of world" section below). However there does seem to be an abbreviated version of the procedure available on NAS models, intended to be known only by Land Rover dealers and using a generic code (1515) for all vehicles. One US owner with a 2000 Range Rover had his vehicle stranded with a dead battery and no remote available, but when jumpering it got the message "Engine Disabled, Press Remote". Since he did not have a remote, he managed to reactivate the vehicle using a variant of the EKA procedure that the dealer confided -- the dealer was fairly sure that almost all NAS P38's have the same EKA code, which is:
Unlock once
lock 5 times,
unlock once,
and then lock 5 times.
Aidan confirms that he found out from Land Rover that the normal EKA is not applicable to US spec P38A Range Rovers, but the generic "null" code (1515) is used. For example, when replacing a BECM it asks for the code and a null # is inputted (1515).

Ignatius Wong wrote in to say the generic 1515 code he got from this page also worked on his 1996 Discovery when it its alarm system froze everything and prevented him from turning over the engine. starting the vehicle.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling

good info, thanks for sharing.
i read something similar while googling away at the problem. it said unlock/lock 5 times which did not work. i'll keep this info handy for if i have the issue again.
thanks!