General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Britpart Lynx Diagnostic System - Programming Successes and Failures??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Britpart Lynx Diagnostic System - Programming Successes and Failures??

I would be very interested in hearing members' thoughts and reviews about the Britpart Lynx Diagnostic system - specifically about what you've been able to accomplish with its PROGRAMMING functions.

I'm extremely frustrated with Britpart. After researching the various diagnostic units available, I purchased a Lynx (single-vehicle model) to use with my series II Discovery. While it's performed well as a code reader, I have not been able to use it to do any of the programming functions Britpart advertises that it's able to do. For example, they advertise it, generally, as being able to program keys and security fobs, and their literature specifically shows that it should be able to program the security system (valeo BCU) on a Discovery II (see attached) - which includes the keys/transmitters. As a forum member has already noted in another post, however, when I attempt to use that programming function, the Lynx asks for an 18-digit code (not the much shorter EKA code that many other tools use to program keys).

I contacted Britpart's Lynx helpdesk to ask what code the Lynx was asking for, and I received a one sentence reply telling me they didn't offer "vehicle-specific" technical support. When I responded reiterating that I wasn't after the code for my vehicle, but just needed to understand what code the Lynx was asking for so i could get the info from Land Rover, if need be, I didn't get any response.

I ran into the same problem when, after replacing my cracked windshield (non-heated) with a heated windshield and installing the required switch, I tried using the Lynx to reset the system so the heating element in the new windshield would function. As I understand it, both of these functions (i.e., reprogramming key-transmitters and resetting the system for a heated windshield) can be performed quite easily with a Hawkeye - one of the systems I passed over in favor of the Lynx based on Britpart's representations of what the Lynx could do.

Based on my own research and conversations with folks more knowledgeable than me, when Land Rover was using the T4 diagnostic system and one of their technicians needed to access certain programming functions, the T4 would provide a 5-digit "seed code" when plugged into the vehicle. The tech would then call Land Rover support, provide the seed code, and Land Rover would provide them with an 18-digit "entry code." Given that Omitec designed both the T4 and the Lynx, I'm guessing it's the same or similar architecture and the Lynx is probably asking for that 18-digit entry code. Several problems, though: (1) the Lynx doesn't provide any seed code; (2) the LR dealership doesn't seem to have any idea what code I'm talking about and no longer uses the T4; and (3) Land Rover customer support, while they seem like they're trying to be helpful, hasn't yet come up with any sort of code.

I think it's completely misleading and disingenuous for Britpart and its distributors to keep claiming to potential buyers that it can perform all these programming functions if, in fact, it cannot. And if, hypothetically, it would be able to perform these functions with the provision of some mystery code, but neither Britpart nor Land Rover can identify what code that is or how to get it, that's the same thing!

Obviously, my experience is limited to my Disco II. Has anyone had an easier time with using the programming functions on other models? Anyone cracked the code or been more successful with respect to Disco II's?

thanks all.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lynx.pdf (2.15 MB, 659 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have never experienced any of the aforementioned problems, bearing in mind my D2 is a TD5 engine and I've owned it from new. It was/is an export model TD5 ES LHD which was originally destined for Patagonia but the Chilean Government cancelled the order so I picked it up as new at a bargain price. It really depends on the truck, if you or a previous owner has changed the BCU, ECU or whatever you may have difficulties with programming. I haven't, as yet, needed to re-programme my fobs or keys as I have the original ones from new but I have checked diesel pump timing and fuelling and re-programmed my engine on a couple of occasions but I cannot vouch for the Lynx performance on a gas V8.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 AM

Hi, I've just noted from your attached pdf that the Lynx cannot re-programme the V8 engine but these engines are less common in the UK than the TD5 due to fuel consumption and price per litre.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. bad news, your not the only irate.

I bought a lynx in 2016 to use with my discovery II v8 (australia).

I took good care of it, never dropped it etc and all of a sudden it stops communicating with the BCU module in september 2016, the live data didnt even work and always glitched out. I couldnt re-program key fobs or do any of jobs that i bought it for.

So after chasing around emails and trying to convince these people that it was the lynx and not my vehicles wiring, it gets sent off to Island4x4 (where i bought it from) so it can begin the warranty process.

Island4x4 recieve it around the 8/02/17

its now 5/5/17...! I have sent multiple emails and no one has replied. I have been out of a vital tool for nearly 12 weeks! its bulls*it. i need this thing to do brake work and re-program another key as currently i only have one key.

i am so frustrated, island4x4 hasn't been replying to my emails, i have had to call them up several times to ask whats happening to it and they don't even tell me, they just say "the warranty people have got it"

DON'T BUY A LYNX, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE

Old 07-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Hi, if you are having some operational issues try this e-mail address:

lynx.support@omitec.com

This is the official product support contact e-mail as the software is an Omitec product like some others I believe and also Omitec software is used on the LR Test Book.

PPS: This might also help.

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructio...ser_manual.pdf

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 07-22-2017 at 02:05 PM.