General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Blower Fan won't turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C Blower Fan won't turn

2002 Disco II 168k Miles

Started up my Disco last week no A/C blowing from vents.

A/C control panel is lit up and all controls working also A/C compressor pulled in and turning. So, I checked the a/c fuses and all were fine. So I pulled front blower fan out from under glove box and Left electric plug connected and turned on A/C and adjusted fan speed to high. Fan did not turn. Disconnected fan from it's electrical Harness, plugged in my multi-meter and tested the voltage at the connection I got 13.69v with fan control set on high and 11.89 set at it's lowest speed. So, I wired the fan directly to the battery and it spun like crazy almost jumped out of my hand!

So, here's my question if there is nothing wrong with the fan and I have 13.69 Volts at it's connection why is it not working???

Last edited by scootch61; 10-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Update:

I started wondering since my multi-meter gave me a 13+v reading on the harness side of the connector maybe the connector was faulty. So, reconnected the blower and pierced the wires on the blower side of the connection with my meter probes and got zero volts. OK that's great! Problem solved it's a bad connection. So I cut out the connector and just twisted the wires together to test it. Turned on the A/C and Guess
what the blower doesn't spin and zero volts at the connection. So I disconnected the the blower and put my meter back on the now bare leads and again get a reading of 13.5 volts. Now I'm ready to pull my hair out. What is this some kind of amp-less phantom voltage? I really don't know what to try next I need some help here guys.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I'm terrible with electrical and from your meter readings nothing makes sense.

The only thing I can say is that there is a well known issue with the interior fuse box failing and causing the AC blower to not work.

Try a search.

Blower Motor won't come on - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Help from Those Who Have Done A/C Blower Fix - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Blower Motors Not Working - Fuse Box Repair - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

All I can figure is that the twisting of the wires together didn't create a good enough connexion. The ground comes from the switch while the power wire comes from the relay.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my fan motor stopped it ended up being a bad fuse block. I jumped the connection using another fuse and power source, worked ever since. You can search the fix with some pics here.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scootch61
Update:

I started wondering since my multi-meter gave me a 13+v reading on the harness side of the connector maybe the connector was faulty. So, reconnected the blower and pierced the wires on the blower side of the connection with my meter probes and got zero volts. OK that's great! Problem solved it's a bad connection. So I cut out the connector and just twisted the wires together to test it. Turned on the A/C and Guess
what the blower doesn't spin and zero volts at the connection. So I disconnected the the blower and put my meter back on the now bare leads and again get a reading of 13.5 volts. Now I'm ready to pull my hair out. What is this some kind of amp-less phantom voltage? I really don't know what to try next I need some help here guys.
When I went through that awhile back I pulled the correct fuses in the under dash fuse block to check, none were blown and I put them back in and it started working.
So I just forgot about it and about a month later it stopped working again. I assumed since when I had fiddled with the fuses before and it started working that the problem must be in that fuse block so, I pulled the fuse block and checked the voltage on the correct wires coming in and going out to the fan and all was good and no corrosion. So I pulled the kick board under the glove box and checked the connectors there. There is a blue connector and a white connector. The white one was fried so, I cut it out and twisted together with wire nuts and all is well.

I guess if you are getting power to the fan that may not be your problem but did you look at the white connector close to see if it looked burnt or is that the one you cut out and hardwired?

The white connector is a common problem.

If you did do away with the white connector then maybe your problem is back over at the fuse block under the drivers side dash. They are known to get wet and corrode and then come and go...intermittently.

There is a thread on here that will show you which wires to test on that fuse block. It may be one of those that abran linked or you may have to search.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-31-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Final Resolution A/C blower problem:
Bought a good used interior fuse box on ebay and installed it and Waaa-Laaa no more blower problem.
Thanks Every One for all the Help!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scootch61
Final Resolution A/C blower problem:
Bought a good used interior fuse box on ebay and installed it and Waaa-Laaa no more blower problem.
Thanks Every One for all the Help!
Glad you got it going and posted the resolution. thx

Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear
Default Opposite problem

I actually have the opposite problem - my driver's side blower will not turn off. I'm 2 shops in and to no avail on what the problem is; anyone else ever had this problem? Cheers, Scot (2002 4.6 HSE)