General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chains for the LR4

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chains for the LR4

Yes - it sounds crazy, but in some states (e.g. California and Oregon) they will close the passes and/or require chains even if you have snow tires, 4 wheel drive, etc.

I have spent countless hours trying to research my options and due to the 19 inch wheels and very limited clearance in the front, there is no way chains are going to fit on the front. It appeared the only option were the SpikeSpiders (conveniently sold from the dealership for just over $900). If you refer to the owners manual, it essentially says, put chains only on the front, blah, blah, blah.

I have read all sorts of crazy info about spacers and not putting chains on the rear wheels, especially since I have a locking diff. I decided to press my dealership further and they went above and beyond to get me info. All the info he has on spacers is they are bad news, you risk damage to your vehicle and to the warranty.

The ended up contacting the Land Rover Experience Driving School instructor in Carmel, who just happened to be heading to Vermont (for the LR Experience) to lay into some fresh snow with the LR4. Upon his return, he contacted my dealership and indicated that everyone there utilizes the RUD chains AND they put them ONLY ON THE REAR WHEELS.

RUD is big in Europe and visiting their website is challenging because the US product names are different from the European names, however, the website only references the European products. I called RUD just to confirm the details and ultimately ordered the RUD GRIP 4x4 chains - Part number 0141. They sell for $95 plus shipping.

My hope is they will not be needed for my mountain trips, but should I need to travel in extremely deep snow, I won't have any issues.

I hope this info is helpful for all you LR4 owners!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:42 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know the guy they talked with at the school personally. Great guy, He is the guy to go to on offroading stuff.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Mudding

Yeah, the LR guys from the Experience schools know their stuff!!!

I just pre-fitted the chains tonight to make sure everything will be seamless in the event I need to use them. Fit like a glove.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Good information! Thanks a lot!