General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check engine light do to exhaust manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light do to exhaust manifold?

I have a 2000 discovery that I got recently. Have been fixing some small body issues as they ran it off the road and did some very limited damage to the front driver's headlight area.

I have seen Disco Mike's maintenance log and am getting the parts to begin that process as I am not sure of its history since the last owner did not own it very long. (I don't think he could afford the gas and was afraid to tackle the repairs when his dad was giving him another car.)

The check engine light has started coming on. Got the codes read but lost the code numbers. There were three codes thrown previously. 2 read oxygen sensors and one was mass air flow. I already changed the mass air flow. I have not changed the oxygen sensors as I found an exhaust leak in the manifold on the driver's side. Have that ordered and on the way. Figured I needed to do that prior to putting oxygen sensors in. It is not being driven much other than around my block to get warm check for leaks, etc. The check engine light will sometimes blink rather than just staying on. Is this a new issue or can it be related to the same issues? Yes, I know I need to get a code reader but was told by the local parts store that some of the codes had to be read or at least defined by Land Rover. (When I gave one of those codes to LR they said it was the mass air flow and tried to talk me into coming in and letting them look it over for $90. Basically, does the blinking mean something else dire has shown up? The engine runs very smoothly other than the sound of the exhaust manifold leak.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

ORielly's auto parts and some others actually loan code readers. Read you codes, write down the numbers. Because, the generic code reader may not have the Rover version of code number 1234 stored. Post the numbers here, and you'll get help. You can also download the RAVE set of factory shop manuals (what the dealer uses) and use the search tab to look for that code number. Then you have immediate info.

Blinking usually means multiple misfires at a catalyst damaging level. Some codes if erased don't come back (turn on the light) until two "heat up and cool down drive cycles" but can be seen with a scanner as a pending code. Misfires are frequently cured by new 8mm silicone high quality plug wires and new plugs.

For $70 you can buy an Ultra Gauge, which is code reader, resetter, and live data display with alarm set points. You'll be wanting to watch colant temp... UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light do to exhaust manifold?-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yank the manifold and inspect it for cracks. if none replace the studs and put new gaskets on it. make sure the cat doesn't have a slight leak. seen a few at the top of the cat at the gasket causing issue.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I've downloaded rave but didn't know it had the codes in it. Was going to get started on Disco Mikes recommendations for 60,000 plus after I got the manifold on. The code reader you recommended, will that give you the actual engine temp as well? Or should I look at another for that and if I get it, what are acceptable limits?

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
ORielly's auto parts and some others actually loan code readers. Read you codes, write down the numbers. Because, the generic code reader may not have the Rover version of code number 1234 stored. Post the numbers here, and you'll get help. You can also download the RAVE set of factory shop manuals (what the dealer uses) and use the search tab to look for that code number. Then you have immediate info.

Blinking usually means multiple misfires at a catalyst damaging level. Some codes if erased don't come back (turn on the light) until two "heat up and cool down drive cycles" but can be seen with a scanner as a pending code. Misfires are frequently cured by new 8mm silicone high quality plug wires and new plugs.

For $70 you can buy an Ultra Gauge, which is code reader, resetter, and live data display with alarm set points. You'll be wanting to watch colant temp... UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool