General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

D II - no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D II - no start

04 DII - all dash lights on..engine will not turn over, (starter does not do anything.) Checked grounds at battery, under hood fuses - 40amp fan?? fuse blown, put in a new one, held, seems unrelated, installed a new starter, have 12 volts by meter on starter and at solenoid when key is turned. Checked grounds at the under hood fuse box. Tried a working battery, Any ideas on where to look. Lots of wires in there.. Something is humming near the intake manifold
?? Thanks..

Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any codes? Any recent work performed?

Last edited by lr2001silver; 01-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
4th Gear

put in a new starter.. will check codes tomorrow.. no other work done recently, old starter worked when I jumped after removal. Was working intermittently and I had check the grounds I could fine. Tried grounding the starter to the battery and jumping direct to the soleniod.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Humming noise may be a secondary air injection pump, it is electric.

That blown fuse for the fan is an overheat problem waiting to happen. Spin the electric fan blades up front of the AC condenser (the front radiator). If sluggish or siezed that would blow fuse. Keep an eyeball on that one.

Underhood, follow negative wire from battery and it will tie to chassis, be sure those spots are clean and tight. You can also use a set of jumper cables and bridge from battery (-) to frame. Or from starter frame to truck, or starte positive wire to battery positive, The starter draws about 300 amps, so it only takes a little bit of corrosion and nothing will happen. Also check fuse link 13 under hood, it is a "bolt in" fuse that runs the solenoid.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

My Land Rover is at the dealership. I have had two starters replaced and a new battery in 6 months. It runs great but occassionally won't start. They can't seem to figure it out. I am so frustrated that they can't seem to find a problem. By the way I am a female not a mechanic. Thank you for any advice.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
4th Gear

So checked all you mentioned. Thank you for the wads up on the fan it was frozen. Put in a new starter did not spin. Had power at all the right places. Bench tested the new starter and found a second blade connector on the top of the starter that powers the solenoid. Put it back in. Worked when I connected the solenoid wire. The new starter had two blades and from underneath I was jumping to the wrong point. Relatively easy to check all the wiring and circuits with info on this forum. Not easy to reach anything in there esp the bolt to the starter cover. On to the next fix...
Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Humming noise may be a secondary air injection pump, it is electric.

That blown fuse for the fan is an overheat problem waiting to happen. Spin the electric fan blades up front of the AC condenser (the front radiator). If sluggish or siezed that would blow fuse. Keep an eyeball on that one.

Underhood, follow negative wire from battery and it will tie to chassis, be sure those spots are clean and tight. You can also use a set of jumper cables and bridge from battery (-) to frame. Or from starter frame to truck, or starte positive wire to battery positive, The starter draws about 300 amps, so it only takes a little bit of corrosion and nothing will happen. Also check fuse link 13 under hood, it is a "bolt in" fuse that runs the solenoid.