General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco II won't start, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II won't start, need a little help

I have a 99 Disco II.

I recently changed the spark plugs (not the wires) and repaired the broken throttle body to expansion tank hose.

After the work I started it up and drove it around for about half an hour or so. Then I left for two weeks.

I went out today to start it and it cranks over like it is out of gas (1/2 tank).

I do have a ODB code P1590 - implausible drive signal...but from my search on here I don't necessarily see the correlation to not starting. (I do have the 3 amigos but I can deal with that....)

Recall that I worked on it and then DROVE it so the work was sound, it ran. So I'm at a loss. I know it doesn't have a fuel filter. I have never heard the fuel pump, ever. Don't know if there is any easy way to check to see if its getting fuel to the injectors?

Any help is appreciated....

Old 04-04-2016, 10:54 AM
3rd Gear

Crank position sensor possibly? From what I've read the fuel pumps rarely go out. I was told by a shop once my fuel pump needed to be replaced when mine had a very similar issue as yours. I did some digging and reading and replaced the crank position sensor and that fixed it. My sensor going out didn't throw any codes either.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay thanks gents. I just got the sensor. Replacing it today. I will follow up.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Crank Position Sensor was it....

I replaced the crank position sensor and it started right up....

For all the guys doing research on this repair...a couple of suggestions:
- unbolting the exhaust manifold coupling on the drivers side MAY help you get there a bit better, but you don't have to disconnect the exhaust. Its tight but doable.
- If you are reading other threads on this you will have found that disconnecting the cable to the sensor is the crux of this job. I found the following:
unbolt the sensor (see the youtube video, you can google that), then disconnect the cable FROM above. I climbed up in the bay and reached down and flipped the connector right off. I put it back on from above too.

- if you disconnect the exhaust, of course you will need the gasket kit

Another interesting note...my original sensor lasted 234K miles....we will see what I get out of this one.

Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction and thanks to all who are always ready to help on this forum.

Much appreciated!