General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Discovery 1 Road trip prep ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 1 Road trip prep ?'s

Hello all. I've been entertaining the idea of driving my 99 D1 on our annual family road trip this summer. It's a decent running vehicle that I daily drive and has around 167k miles currently. I would be driving from Kentucky to Arizona to do some backcountry exploring. Most of the trip from KY to AZ would be freeway but, while in AZ we plan to get lost a bit and do some camping. I wouldn't be doing any extreme offroading. Just some light trails etc. Nothing that a stock suspension and all terrains couldn't handle.

So, with that being said, what are some things I need to check on the Disco before heading out? I'll be putting new brakes on, radiator hoses, checking bushings, bearings, fluids, and leaks. All of the normal stuff. I may also be throwing in a new radiator as well because I noticed the fins starting to rust on the current unit.
From experience, what else would I need to check? What are some lessons you guys have learned long during long distance travel in your Rover? Also, what would be some "must have" parts to have with me?

I've got about 5 months until we roll so, there's plenty of time for repairs.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 212 Likes on 186 Posts

Mines a diesel so a few different things to check, i usually check the hoses for condition and leaks and all the fluids, check the serp belt and if suspect put a new one on and keep the other for a spare. Check plugs and leads and maybe change the rotor and cap or take spares, being a daily driver you are probably on top of it anyway.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Check your swivel ball fluid level. If you have a spare TPS and VSS I'd take em. I always carry a few fuses and relays. A spare belt. And at least a quart of major fluids. Watch your belt tensioner while running. If it's bouncing all over replace it. Take a quick gander at your battery terminals. Fondle your fan clutch a little. If you've done all your maintenance you should be fine.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure you have an aftermarket temperature gauge like the Ultragauge or something that will tell you before it overheats.

The radiator is copper/brass, so it doesn't rust, but you may be seeing solder bloom. You can have it hot tanked by a radiator shop. They will soak it in heated sodium hydroxide. Mine wasn't bad, so I took mine off the vehicle, filled it with phosphoric acid from the home improvement store, and let it sit overnight. That is only equivalent to "flushing" it with a radiator flush product. If the bloom is serious, you'll want to have it hot tanked in the caustic soda. The shop may also recommend rodding it out. That is more involved but if the shop can put it into good shape, it will be as good as an new one.

I'd also confirm your water pump and fan clutch are good.