General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Discovery II Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Discovery II Overheating

Woo! So I might be right! Wasn't such a long day after all!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Raid, Anti and Wolf for the inputs.

Due to an unexpected death in the family I, have to travel out of town for several days. No fear as I am not driving the Disco.

Upon my return I will pull the radiator and have it checked, make Wolfs day if it is bad.....LOL.

I will let you guys know what I find.

This forum is GREAT.

Tony

Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Three Wheeling

ok brother here it is. What you want to do is when your car is at operating temperature or over heating take the fan off and carefully start touching the top of the radiator and start going down it should be the same temp all the was down, now what ive seen (most commenly on LM's) the center of the core will get clogged and restrict coolant flow. Another one is a dropped cylinder liner 90% of the time its bank 2 cylinder 6. it slowly will consume coolant and will sometime flag a misfire code. make sure the headgaskets arent leaking and the water pump is operating properly.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Drifting

UPDATE - Duriing the 3rd week of March I returned to work on this overheating issue. I pulled the radiator and had it flushed and pressure checked, it turned out to be in great shape. I decided to replaced all of the hoses that carried coolant no matter how large or small. I checked the water pump and felt like the bearing was good and the pump rotated freely. I decided with everything apart I replacedthe sepentine belt. The new upper radiator hose had the air bleeder valve located in a much better place. I have now driven the car for 2 months and have not lost one drop of coolant nor has the Disco over heated again. In the final analysis I do not know has corrected my problem. I may have had a hose collapsing on me or maybe the sepentine belt was slipping, I really have not idea, I am just glad that it appears all is well, so far. Thanks to all of those who had input on my problem.