General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR Cooler Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Cooler Issues

Hi everyone!

New Member and recently new owner of a 2017 Range Rover with the TD6 engine.

Our vehicle for some reason came with the books and such from a 2012 which has made these first two weeks of ownership more than a bit of a learning curve to say the least. In searching out info and trying to research the various issues we’re trying to have taken care of, your forum has been a wonderful resource. So, thanks in advance for all the great knowledge and supportive posts you’ve all made for each other over the years...much appreciated!

Thus far with our Range Rover, I’ve been able to figure out lots of what bothers me with how it rides, how it sounds, and so forth. Part of this has been the disappointment of learning that apparently this much money spent with the same folks who make Jaguars (of which I have owned several over the years and loved them all) does not in fact get you a very quiet interior cabin or luxurious ride feel. In fact, it’s worse than our recently traded Grand Cherokee on both these fronts, not to mention missing a slew of what I would have thought were base features the Jeep had but that apparently cost oodles more if you want them on a Range Rover (blindspot monitoring, ability to adjust suspension hardness, most of the basic functions Sirius/XM satellite radio should have, etcetera).

Other issues, I’ve learned, are things caused by the original owner’s absurd whims (the idiots deleted the towing package for some reason...a deal breaker had we known this when we purchased and were “assured” that all Range Rovers come with towing!) and lack of concern for maintenance (the tires although having decent tread are all bad due to having been greatly over-inflated and never rotated, balanced, or their never having had the alignment checked).

I’ve booked a day at the dealership for new tires, to have an overall check of the car top to bottom, and to have the software updated as ours is so out of date that the OTA software features aren’t even in the menu (actually half of what the online manual says should be in our menus are missing which I hope is a matter of the software’s being out of date...we’ll see).

The big problem though that I want the dealership to address Friday is an annoying, headache-causing, incessant, high-pitched sort of electronic sound that can be heard within the cabin and outside the vehicle most of the time and seems to have little to do with speed, whether the car is in motion, or for that matter even whether it’s running.

I’ve seen other posts on here and on other forums of owners pulling their hair out over this same sound (that most people can’t hear it seems). None have any updates on resolution.

Using a mechanic’s stethoscope, I was able to “find” this noise to be coming from the EGR cooler on the left hand side of the engine (6-cyl diesel LHD car). In fact, the sound continued for several minutes after the car was turned off, albeit at a reduced volume, and with the stethoscope was always right within this part.

Has anyone ever had any experience with these? Do they go bad? Is there a reason they’d be making such a sound? I am planning on asking my dealership to ensure they have one in stock in case it needs to be swapped out under warranty, but am already worried they’ll try to pass this off as some ‘normal’ sound. It’s not normal. It’s so loud and constant that more than a couple of hours in the car leaves me with a headache that lasts the rest of the day.

Photo above shows the culprit.

Our dealership here in New Orleans seems less than ideal in terms of customer service and thus far, only one out of three service department people whom I’ve talked with could even hear the sound which leaves me fearing they’re not likely to put much effort into helping sort this out. Any ideas or recommendations on what I could provide them with or tell them to encourage a proper outcome?

Thanks,
—drew