General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Foggy Backup Camera FIX! Evoque

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foggy Backup Camera FIX! Evoque

So I bought a "gently" used 2018 Evoque with a couple of basic issues such as worn tires, intermittent coolant light, and a foggy backup camera image. As in almost all white fuzz!
I couldn't see it from the outside, but once I removed the camera unit and took out the camera internals, it was VERY evident there was condensation inside the physical lens. Here is a quick blow-by-blow.

Went to Harbor Freight and bought
A 4 -tool body panel removal kit Simple little plastic pry bars of varying configurations abut 6" long each. I think it was $6.99
Also bought a "minature" tork tool assortment for $7.99.
I already had a 10mm deep-set socket with a normal handle. (DID it by hand no tight screws) and a Philips with a about #1.5 tip and an assortment of normal-sized tork bits.

Remove rear cargo door inside panel. Easier than I thought it would be. Just pry it off. Those plastic tools woked perfect!
Used a Tork bit (#15?) and removed the two tork screws holding a little black box to the metal door so I could access one of the 4,10 mm locking nuts that allow the romaval of the trim piece on the outside containing the backup camera.
Removed the 4 lock nuts holding the aforementioned trim.
Use one of the new pry tools to gently pry each end of trim from the outside. Each end has two of the pop-in clips Easy
Removed the weather tape and the two Philips screws holding the backup camera in place. Unclip electrical.
With the little square thing housing the camera lens now in my pocket, It started to rain so I went inside, lol.
Here is where it gets fun -
Used the mini-torx (about 1.5mm) to remove the two screws holding the camera together.
PICTURES Take pictures! I didn't need them but only because I had them! (Still have some if you want to see what I did, but I wasn't documenting)
Gently pry it apart. There is a green gasket. It is reusable if you are nice. .
Remove the two chips. The bottom chip has 3 of the little torx screws holding it in place. They are shorter than the husing torx. Don't mix them up. THIS KEEPS THE LENS FIXED IN PLACE.
Now the FIX!
I set up my heat gun on LOW on top of my stove so it wouldn't melt anything. With it on the front facing the back of the stove, I removed the stickers on the housing and placed the housing at the back of the stove so it WOULDN'T GET TOO HOT and get damaged, but air was directed inside the housing towards the lens.
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat just the lens piece. Brush off the circuit boards with appropriate canned air and SOFT toothbrush-sized brush. DO NOT heat them!
WIth that, I heated up the lens - almost too hot. Anyway, heat, let it totally cool normally (NO REFRIGERATOR!) , repeat several times. It will heat up quick, so don't overheat. I only took it through two heat cycles because I had to have the car for the next morning and it was starting to rain heavy (The car was outside) but I recommend at least 4 heat cycles. What you are doing is vaporizing the moisture inside the lens. The heated air inside expands, meaning some of it leaves through whatever venting allowed it to enter. Then, when it cools, some air reenters the housing as the air left inside the housing contracts. Hopefully the outside air is less humid. Every time you so this, some of the moisture is permanetly removed. Remember the rule of 3 rinses? Well, this is kinda like that. The more heat cycles, the more the interior gas of the semi-sealed lens will resemble the air in the house (See why I didn't do this in the rain?)
Reassemble -
It worked great for me but I can tell there is still some moisture inside the lens. Just enough to wear on my anality. Wish I would have followed my own advice and taken it through at least two more heat cycles. I wasn't sure it would work or I wouldn't be able to get it reassembled quickly but I had not much to lose. Just pay attention to lining up the chips and the GASKET. They are directional. AND make sure your Philps are the correct PROFILE! There are lots of different profile designs of #1 and #2 (Yes, I said that, lol) and you don't want to round the screw socket.
ENJOY!
Or you can elect to buy a new camera for about $125 online,
Anyone want to know how to now waterproof it? Step one - remove the moisture. Lol

Last edited by R4Racin; 02-07-2023 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Please add "FIX" to the title. THX Sorry
Old 02-07-2023, 08:22 PM
TReK
Received 490 Likes on 425 Posts

Thanks for the good information